To Hamburg

jagmanx

Monday at rest in Emlichheim:
Stellplatz 5Euros. Water 1euro and 2kwh of Leccy 1euro. Quiet and tidy
Delightful town with Lidl and Rewe and other shops within easy walking distance. Also several restaurants and takeaways
Maybe a convenient stopover if heading to Northern Germany and Scandinavia adds a minimal distance to the most direct route.
Route as follows
We have also used Grobbendonk (Belgium) and Cloppenburg (Germany) both pretty well on the route given.
The route also avoids the heavy traffic area of the Ruhr
There is also a ferry across the Elbe at Wischhafen (thanks to others) to avoid Hamburg
https://goo.gl/maps/i18HCc3t9mFDWUaT7

Except that avoiding Hamburg means missing out on Miniatur Wunderland in a dockland warehouse The best model railway layout(s) in the world. ?

It took me almost 40 minutes to find a parking spot, but I wasn't going to drive past and miss out on that. ?

Next time, I'll take your tip as I didn't know that ferry existed.

Many thanks for the idea!

Nor did I
I give the credit to others (maybe from WC) who posted about it
As you know with roadworks and traffic Hamburg can take 2 hours

Except that avoiding Hamburg means missing out on Miniatur Wunderland in a dockland warehouse The best model railway layout(s) in the world. ?

It took me almost 40 minutes to find a parking spot, but I wasn't going to drive past and miss out on that. ?

Went there a few years ago, ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, but yes parking is a problem, but go early, I can’t remember now but I seem to remember the exhibit is over 3 or 4 floors

Last edited:
Nor did I
I give the credit to others (maybe from WC) who posted about it
As you know with roadworks and traffic Hamburg can take 2 hours
Yup! I'd intended to camp in an.aire only a short walk away, and that year they had decided to repave the whole area, and the stellplatz was closed.

I gave up and drove on to the stellplatz adjacent the Keil Canal. That was a good decision as "Mein Schiff 4" was setting off on her maiden voyage, the whole town turned out at the jetty to wish her well, and there was a carnival to celebrate.

My bike and I cycled miles that day!

We went to Hamburg 2 years ago as part of our trip across the Netherlands and up to the Kiel Canal.

We really liked Hamburg and endorse comments made about Miniature Wonderland...excellent day out. We also took a harbour cruise which was interesting. The Russian submarine was difficult for those with limited movement. St Michaels Church Tower is also worth a visit.

Nice city, well worth a few days

Graham
smile.gif

I parked in the Sankt Pauli Fischmarkt - 10 euro a night, just miss the one day of the fish market - about a mile from Minatur Wunderland, near the tour boats and the Reeperbahn

Monday at rest in Emlichheim:
Stellplatz 5Euros. Water 1euro and 2kwh of Leccy 1euro. Quiet and tidy
Delightful town with Lidl and Rewe and other shops within easy walking distance. Also several restaurants and takeaways
Maybe a convenient stopover if heading to Northern Germany and Scandinavia adds a minimal distance to the most direct route.
Route as follows
We have also used Grobbendonk (Belgium) and Cloppenburg (Germany) both pretty well on the route given.
The route also avoids the heavy traffic area of the Ruhr
There is also a ferry across the Elbe at Wischhafen (thanks to others) to avoid Hamburg
https://goo.gl/maps/i18HCc3t9mFDWUaT7
Nice trip across The Elbe, we took that route earlier this year en route to Norway. There’s a handy big free car park to stay on the edge of Glückstadt on the other side...53.79119°N 9.41712°E, from where you can walk along the dyke into the nice little town and harbour.

Nice one! Next time, give me a shout out - I live in the HafenCity, 2 mins walk from Miniatur Wunderland.

Now that's a kind offer.... Thank you.

Went to hamburg once,the girls in one spot seemed very poor as they could not afford much clothing,but friendly though as some in shop windows waved at me. :love:

Hmmmm, are you referring to the Reeperbahn area of St Pauli per chance? 🤭

In all seriousness, if anyone had Hamburg on one of their trips or on a drive-through - I’d be happy to meet up, show the sights and recommend park ups etc.
Maybe I should organise a ’meet’ 🧐🤔

I’ll deffo be in Germany for the whole of June, might be in Hamburg sometime, I’ll let you know 🤔

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back