Tow bar bike carrier

Aly1

I have a Ford Transit PVC and need to be able to fully open the right rear door to access the toilet cassette.
Does anyone know of a tow bar bike carrier that will allow for this?

Someone was selling a Thule one that tilted forward but they said that the tilt wasn’t enough to open a van door and that they only tilt enough to open a car hatchback?

I looked at this few years ago unless designs have changed I could not find anything that worked off tow bar , ended up door mounted on master door.

I think you will have to get one that is fitted to the door. They usually only fasten to one door so you can still open the doors, providing it is mounted to the one that opens first, of course.

Go onto “The Roofbox Company” website. They have many types of cycle rack both door and tow bar mounted. I have recently urchased a tow bar mounted rack for my ducato panel van which allows me to open the rear doors. Each one they supply has a video of how it mounts and the type of vehicle it is suitable for. I used to have a door mounted rack on my van but the weight of the electric bike plus one other caused the door to separate on the seams.. they are only glued these days not welded. I have no connection with the company apart from being a satisfied customer. Give then a ring after looking at the options and they will be happy to discuss the best option.

Atera Strada DL3. I have the DL2 on the back of a VW T5 and when tilted back the door catches the bike wheel. On the DL3 you can place the first bike on the middle rail, it also arcs back further than the DL2 so the (T5) door can be swung full open. Not cheap but worth every penny, no faffing round. You can fit the rack and 2 bikes on ready to go in less than 5 minutes. Example on a Ducato here

Someone was selling a Thule one that tilted forward but they said that the tilt wasn’t enough to open a van door and that they only tilt enough to open a car hatchback?
The Thule ones do drop to a degree but they are designed to allow hatchbacks or tailgates rather than "barn door" type rear doors.

I fitted a Thule load carrier to my LT and just modified it to allow the right door to open while the carrier was still in place. I don't use it for bikes but the load on the right side - and bikes would have to be unloaded as well - but at least you would not need to disturb the carrier to do so.

Thule Carrier
by David, on Flickr

You would also need to have a support fitted to the door as the one on the rack must be removed (or could be adapted to clear with a bit of work)

Atera Strada DL3. I have the DL2 on the back of a VW T5 and when tilted back the door catches the bike wheel. On the DL3 you can place the first bike on the middle rail, it also arcs back further than the DL2 so the (T5) door can be swung full open. Not cheap but worth every penny, no faffing round. You can fit the rack and 2 bikes on ready to go in less than 5 minutes. Example on a Ducato here
I ended up with the Althea Strada three bike rack. On the Ducato I needed to drop the tow ball by 60mm and then the back doors open when the rack sleds back and down. It is a well made piece of kit and takes all th loads off the back doors.

I think you will have to get one that is fitted to the door. They usually only fasten to one door so you can still open the doors, providing it is mounted to the one that opens first, of course.
I have a door mounted one Caz but I haven’t the strength to lift the bike up.

Thanks, that looks like the solution. The transit is slightly narrower than the Ducato so should be ok.

This is the other option I have found but I would need someone to fix the pivot section for me.

heres what I've seen
Thanks.
Looks good and a bit closer than the Netherlands 😂
I might contact him and see if he would fit as well.

I have a Ford Transit PVC and need to be able to fully open the right rear door to access the toilet cassette.
Does anyone know of a tow bar bike carrier that will allow for this?
I have a westfalia rack ball hitch mount which tilts enough to be able to open both barn doors on a vw t5 transporter.

I have a westfalia rack ball hitch mount which tilts enough to be able to open both barn doors on a vw t5 transporter.
That’s interesting. I think the VW is slightly narrower than the transit so the door width may be slightly narrower.

I got one of these. They hinge open and you can then open both rear doors.
You can get them to carry different weights of bikes, mine takes 2 electric bikes
Made in Holland, the recommended retailer quoted over £1400 supply and fit, but michael Parkinson’s from Kirkham lancs did it all incl electrics for £1000
very satisfied and can recommendEB8B8CC6-3A1A-4746-8BE0-3D40D9E5F75C.jpeg48844935-619F-48FB-B313-59F917CE9254.jpeg30A3D9B0-7834-4177-9EA7-9D9D75D0F001.jpeg

I got one of these. They hinge open and you can then open both rear doors.
You can get them to carry different weights of bikes, mine takes 2 electric bikes
Made in Holland, the recommended retailer quoted over £1400 supply and fit, but michael Parkinson’s from Kirkham lancs did it all incl electrics for £1000
very satisfied and can recommendView attachment 58830View attachment 58831View attachment 58832
Memo in Holland is the link I posted earlier. Did you get it from them yourself or did Michael Parkinson’s do everything? Did your cost include adding a tow ball or did you have that already?

Memo in Holland is the link I posted earlier. Did you get it from them yourself or did Michael Parkinson’s do everything? Did your cost include adding a tow ball or did you have that already?
Michael parkinson did everything, supplied and fitted for £1000, june 2019. No extra costs, apart from number plate
this system doesn’t need a tow bar or tow ball
the kit attaches to the chassis in a similar way tow bars are fitted

it sits at about the same height as a tow bar mounted bike carrier, so it means you don’t have to lift bikes up high. You can even get a little ramp (bit like a greenhouse gutter) so you can wheel your bike on to the carrier

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back