Tow cars on trailers - insurance

Carrerasax

All u out there that do this!!!
I’ve just finished almost ab hours online chat with direct line who tried to tell me a car insurance did not cover a car whilst being towed on a trailer.
I would be very surprised if they are right as I have never been aware of such an exclusion on a comprehensive Accidental Damage section.
I have experience in this field from a previous life, that I’m quite relieved to be out of!!!
So how are you guys covered or do u just think you are!!!!
Good luck.

I never thought that what was in/on the trailer was insured just the car was still insured if towing a trailer any load was to be insured separate

So how are you guys covered or do u just think you are!!!!
Saga cover the car with an A frame third party only and say the that if the car has fully comprehensive cover that should pay for any repairs

Comfort Insurance say the same

When I towed either on a trailer or Afrme the vehicle only had third party cover, ie if it came off and hit something the vehicle insurance would cover it but not any damage to the towed car.
It was a risk I was prepared to take , I was never able to find any insurance company who would give me fully comprehensive cover on the towed/trailered car

I just live with the risk. However having both motorhome and toad insured with same insurer (NFU) might make a claim a bit less complicated.

There are some weird Insurance rules around.
I had my RAV4 stolen from inside my workshop - which meant when I claimed, it was paid out of the insurance that covered the workshop contents not the car insurance. But if I had my van stolen from inside the workshop, it would NOT have been covered at all as that was only covered if PHYSICALLY OUTSIDE (and all this was with the same company who covered everything on a single policy, and who paid out with no issues. But it meant after having my car stolen, I still got an extra years NCD as I had no official motor claim loss!)

Direct line couldn’t tell me how this was specifically excluded under the accidental damage section which I found odd.
Not surprised they say it isn’t but unless there is an exclusion or some very specific wording for what is covered I think it could be arguable.
As I say , not surprised they say it is excluded, but how?

Direct line couldn’t tell me how this was specifically excluded under the accidental damage section which I found odd.
Not surprised they say it isn’t but unless there is an exclusion or some very specific wording for what is covered I think it could be arguable.
As I say , not surprised they say it is excluded, but how?
Could it be a non contributory contract of insurance if you are covered by another insurance that should pay? Problem arises if both non contributory . Unless all wheels are off the surface then the towed vehicle needs to be insured to comply with the road traffic act .f.the insurers would know this .hence decline paying out but the towing vehicle and towed needs to indemnify third parties the towed vehicle being technically a load

A car being towed with an A frame does not need to be insured, mot'd or taxed because it is classed as a trailer, it wouldn't make sense for it not to be all legal though or there is no point taking it

Not according to Hastings direct ,and also what I was told studying for work, all four wheels have to be off the floor there are seperate rules for professional recovery https://www.hastingsdirect.com/car-insurance/guides/how-to-tow-a-car.shtml
This is the official advice of the Department for Transport from their Guidance on A-frames updated 18May 2018.
”When an A-frame is attached to a vehicle (eg a motor car) we consider the A-frame and car temporarily become a single unit. When towed by another motor vehicle (eg motorhome) we believe that this single unit is, for the purposes of its construction, treated in GB legislation as a trailer.”

Not according to Hastings direct ,and also what I was told studying for work, all four wheels have to be off the floor there are seperate rules for professional recovery https://www.hastingsdirect.com/car-insurance/guides/how-to-tow-a-car.shtml
I did a lot of research because I had to collect my car from Hertfordshire when it was sorned and I wanted to bring it home for the MOT, because on an A frame it is classed as a trailer it didn't need insurance, tax or MOT, however if I disconnected it on the road it would then be illegal.
The information about towing a car from Hastings Direct is correct but that is for towing a car using a rope, chain or bar where you need a driver in the car being towed, A frame towing as we do it is completely different, we also follow different rules than professional recovery because we are not recovering a vehicle

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back