Tracker near Gas Bottles

Nick-Mandy

Asking on behalf of a buddy.
Is it a bad idea to place a magnetic tracker near or on the side of a gas bottle.?

Having metal underneath it would be fine. Many antennas like a good ground plane. But metal around or above it would be best avoided, as trevskoda says. If your gas bottle is in a metal safety cupboard, as many are, that would be a bad location :)

A tracker needs a good view of the horizon for mobile signal and a good view of the sky above it for GPS signal, so that's a bad choice.

A tracker normally has a power supply, so that's another reason that a gas locker's not a good place

By the way, autoincorrect changed GPS to God when I typed it. Heavens above!

It would be the last place I would put a tracker. Power supply and aerial connections would involve breaching the integrity of the locker.

Signal apart, it does depend on the tracker. When I positioned mine the tracking company was on the phone checking signal so I knew it would be okay. My tracker has no external connections at all, just have to recharge it every 18 months (get text alerts when battery getting low plus phone call). I also went for waterproof casing and magnets so can go in lots of places inside and out 👍

Signal apart, it does depend on the tracker. When I positioned mine the tracking company was on the phone checking signal so I knew it would be okay. My tracker has no external connections at all, just have to recharge it every 18 months (get text alerts when battery getting low plus phone call). I also went for waterproof casing and magnets so can go in lots of places inside and out 👍
what one did you get and where from please also dose it need a sim? thanks

Mine is an Automatrics MTrack, not cheap though but has been excellent service from them. Sim is built in and you pay a yearly fee

Mine is an Automatrics MTrack, not cheap though but has been excellent service from them. Sim is built in and you pay a yearly fee
What a weird website. On my computer it displays as if it were on a small phone screen. If you take the /phone/ bit out of the url, it goes to a different site, designed for computers. Very 1990s thinking to have to maintain two websites in parallel

The trackers seem to be a standard sort you can buy elsewhere, despite their claims to the contrary. The prices aren't bad.

The rip-off is the monitoring fee. They charge £12 per month. You'd normally expect to pay about £12 to £24 per year plus £5 to £15 per year for the sim reporting its position every 30 seconds.

However, to save battery, their trackers only report their position once a month unless movement is detected*, so the sim cost may be even less than £5 a year.

Perhaps they are offering something more than a tracker and a server, but forgot to mention it?

*This is easy to set up on a £20 tracker, but it's not normally what people want.

Perhaps they are offering something more than a tracker and a server, but forgot to mention it?

*This is easy to set up on a £20 tracker, but it's not normally what people want.
Yes they are, they send someone out to find the vehicle if gps signal is lost. Agree about the web site lol

Yes they are, they send someone out to find the vehicle if gps signal is lost. Agree about the web site lol
Not disputing that they do, but their god-awful website doesn't appear to say so. Even then, it's a great deal of money for something that's unlikely to be needed. Even if thieves stole the vehicle and found the tracker, they'd just leave it behind in a ditch. Wouldn't lose gps signal.

Not disputing that they do, but their god-awful website doesn't appear to say so. Even then, it's a great deal of money for something that's unlikely to be needed. Even if thieves stole the vehicle and found the tracker, they'd just leave it behind in a ditch. Wouldn't lose gps signal.
I was answering your question 👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back