Travelling in France out of main holiday season

GMJ

This could be useful if it takes off: for travelling in France outside of the main holiday season.

Never ever had a problem finding somewhere to stay in France outside the main summer months and we’ve been motorhoming over here for more than 15 years spring and autumn. We’ve been over here for 7 weeks this year, not booked a single place and always found somewhere. Mixture of aires, AirParks, CampingCar parks, authorised wild spots and even 3 camp sites when washing needed to be done. For emptying and refilling there are motorhome services provided everywhere, mainly free (although water tends to be turned off in winter).

We prefer the “shoulder” season too, but wouldn’t be interested in using a campsite. We only use aires, use our own facilities, park for a night then go on our travels.
There are plenty of coin operated laundromats at supermarkets and we have found over the last 10 years or so that fewer aires turn their water off in winter, but if they do, a call at the local Marie of tourist office ( if it’s open) will turn the water on for you if tell you where some is available.

I was thinking more in terms of winter as there are considerably fewer campsites open then. We travel down to Spain in January and the options for campsites are limited.

I was thinking more in terms of winter as there are considerably fewer campsites open then. We travel down to Spain in January and the options for campsites are limited.
We found a decent selection of Village and small town Aires between Dieppe and Narbonne in early March, and paid only at Gruisssan.

Steve

But why would you want to use a campsite?

Because we do. Why wouldn't we? MH'ing is a broad church - some like campsites; others aires; others wilding; others all types. We like the security of a campsite plus with my wife being disabled we cant afford to risk not getting in anywhere and not being safe. I try not to drive in the dark in winter if I can help it especially in areas I am unfamiliar with in a near 9m MH. We do use aires/steplatz when in warmer times.

FWIW, here is a list of Aires that we used in early March (7th onwards) in France, from Dieppe to Le Boulou. Water was available at all, except for Le Boulou.

Dieppe to Saran & La Ferte-St Aubin. Saran full, but overspill parking on adjoining Car Park. Moved on La Ferte to get south of Orleans roadworks and the delays in morning rush hour. 190 miles

La Ferte-St Aubin to St Ybard La Borde (good boulangeries behind Church) 181miles

Grissole, Toulouse 159 miles €2 for water

Gruissan Harbour Narbonne 119 miles €9pn but incl mains WC

Le Boulou 62 miles. Hardstanding sloping pitches, ideal for the floods! No services

Most are on Search for Sites

Steve

Tbh January is more of an issue campsite-wise. There is a well worn route using campsites that goes: Rouen area - Poitiers - Bordeaux - St Jean de Luz - Spain. The site near Rouen that we used to use stopped opening in winter (Pont Anthou) but I found a couple of other ones nearby. Basic but cheap and with showers, toilets etc

Because we do. Why wouldn't we? MH'ing is a broad church - some like campsites; others aires; others wilding; others all types. We like the security of a campsite plus with my wife being disabled we cant afford to risk not getting in anywhere and not being safe. I try not to drive in the dark in winter if I can help it especially in areas I am unfamiliar with in a near 9m MH. We do use aires/steplatz when in warmer times.
I don’t understand why some people think it’s peculiar to want to stay in a campsite. We prefer to use their facilities, especially the showers. It’s whatever suits you best.

Reactions: GMJ
I don’t understand why some people think it’s peculiar to want to stay in a campsite. We prefer to use their facilities, especially the showers. It’s whatever suits you best.
In a nutshell, it's whatever blows your frock up ... For some it's a site, for others an Aire. Having developments like this reported gives members information and more choice. Here endeth the lesson ...:)

Steve

Thanks Steve. Yep as I said a couple of posts ago: its a broad church.

We like camp sites as I use the facilities and shower every day which leaves the on board ones free for Mrs GMJ. We also like the safety and security and the knowing that we have somewhere booked for definite that night so do not run the risk of having to drive on to second or third choices.

We also find that using the ACSI card can bring some sites in price-wise cheaper than a number of CL's/CS's and also even some aires!

We do use aires/stelplatz where it suits us but not in winter.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back