Truma Monocontrol CS 30mbar regulator - problem

UFO

Back in February 2013 we had a problem with the Truma Monocontrol CS 30mbar regulator with no gas coming through. We were in Portugal and stayed with friends pondering what to do. I had the regulator in my hand and was absentmindedly pressing the green reset button there was a psst and the smell of gas. I refitted the regulator and it worked. Conclusion - the auto-cut-off mechanism was stuck. I decided to replace the regulator in October 2015 with a similar Truma one.

On a recent trip the heating was cutting in and out. Cooker rings, etc., all ok. Checked this morning and there is no gas coming out of the regulator. I have pressed the green reset button a number of times. I refitted the original regulator and had gas for a couple of minutes with all appliances working ok and then nothing until the green button in pressed and then the cycle repeats.

With hindsight I should have fitted a filter as Truma recommended, although whether this would have made a difference I don’t know.

We have also had a recurring problem where the heating does not work, but other appliances are ok, when the gas level in the refillable GasIt cylinder is getting low. Fill it up and the heating is ok.

I think the answer is to fit a simple regulator and turn the gas off when travelling.

I need one that will connect to the rigid pipe at the outlet and the flexible hose at the inlet. See photo of where it needs to be fitted. One like this? https://www.gasit.co.uk/30mb-reglator-w20-x-8mm.html They also do a 10mm version, so I will need to check the pipe diameter.

Or if the regulator is fitted to the cylinder I need an adaptor from the flexible hose connector to the rigid pipe.

Any ideas?
Truma original reg.jpgTruma new reg.jpg

Back in February 2013 we had a problem with the Truma Monocontrol CS 30mbar regulator with no gas coming through. We were in Portugal and stayed with friends pondering what to do. I had the regulator in my hand and was absentmindedly pressing the green reset button there was a psst and the smell of gas. I refitted the regulator and it worked. Conclusion - the auto-cut-off mechanism was stuck. I decided to replace the regulator in October 2015 with a similar Truma one.

On a recent trip the heating was cutting in and out. Cooker rings, etc., all ok. Checked this morning and there is no gas coming out of the regulator. I have pressed the green reset button a number of times. I refitted the original regulator and had gas for a couple of minutes with all appliances working ok and then nothing until the green button in pressed and then the cycle repeats.

With hindsight I should have fitted a filter as Truma recommended, although whether this would have made a difference I don’t know.

We have also had a recurring problem where the heating does not work, but other appliances are ok, when the gas level in the refillable GasIt cylinder is getting low. Fill it up and the heating is ok.

I think the answer is to fit a simple regulator and turn the gas off when travelling.

I need one that will connect to the rigid pipe at the outlet and the flexible hose at the inlet. See photo of where it needs to be fitted. One like this? https://www.gasit.co.uk/30mb-reglator-w20-x-8mm.html They also do a 10mm version, so I will need to check the pipe diameter.

Or if the regulator is fitted to the cylinder I need an adaptor from the flexible hose connector to the rigid pipe.

Any ideas?
View attachment 41785View attachment 41786
I have used Cavagna regulators with great reliability. They do 8mm and 10mm and in straight through and right angle outlets. make sure you get one with a flow rate of 1.5kg/hr. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARAVAN-...h=item4d35c73e98:g:o3QAAOSwPhdU7snL:rk:8:pf:0

• Thank You
Reactions: UFO

Any ideas?
View attachment 41785View attachment 41786
You photo clearly shows the problem. Luckily it is easy to fix.
It is ESSENTIAL that the pipes leading to the regulator run uphill. Yours are fitted so that they run downhil to the regulator, so condensate runs into it instead of out of it.
Loosen the unions, move the pipes down and re-tighten the unions.
Whether this will clear a stuck regulator is open to question, but it should stop the gas gumming them up again.

You should be turning it off anyway unless you have a anti rupture pigtail like thisgas hose.JPG

It is ESSENTIAL that the pipes leading to the regulator run uphill. Yours are fitted so that they run downhil to the regulator, so condensate runs into it .

Good point, thanks, and easily fixed - see photo. Regulator is still not passing gas through so I will buy a simple Cavagna one.
Truma reg new hose.jpg

Unless you have the later gas low type bottles which have inbuilt rupture protection.
Yes, this is what I have. Text below from https://www.gasit.co.uk/leisure-gas...13kg-gas-it-plus-refillable-gas-cylinder.html
'1) The Gas outlet has a large flow capacity and is fitted with a full excess flow valve meaning the tank will shut off automatically if the pigtail bursts or the bottle is removed. Under EN1949:2011 regulation, this GAS IT Plus bottle does not need a expensive secumotion type regulator to use your appliances whilst driving ( if the appliances are approved for use whilst driving)'

Interesting that it says a secumotion type regulator is not needed. Another reason to go with a simple Cavagna regulator.

Good point, thanks, and easily fixed - see photo. Regulator is still not passing gas through so I will buy a simple Cavagna one.
View attachment 41823
That's better, but far from perfect.
Two things I suggest:
1. Arrange the hose from the cylinder so that it is a constant uphill (not a U shape) so any condensate can trickle back into the bottle in conditions of low flow. You can probably do that by clipping its middle to the bulkhead.
2. Try and get the output pipe to go downhill as it leaves the regulator: you don't want condensate trickling back into the regulator's ouput side either.
Someone obviously thought it looked neater up there at the top. But looks aren't everything.

• Thank You
Reactions: UFO
Fitted the Cavagna 424RV, just been away for 5 nights, everything working perfectly. A nice simple set up for only £21 including delivery. As per advice from hairydog hose from cylinder to regulator now runs uphill, with a support to fix the hose. I could not do anything about the pipe from the regulator's output as this was dictated by the manufacturer’s installation and I did not want to reconfigure this part of the set-up.
IMG_20190227_115621[1].jpgIMG_20190227_115641[1].jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back