Turns out I’m a total git!

Red Dwarf

A work mate and distant friend from the nineties is having treatment for cancer and he decided to run a marathon to raise money for an associated charity. He set up a funding page with the aim of raising a large total of £10,000 and sent me a link to it.
The fund raising has been slow, some folk had contributed and left comments like ‘sorry it’s not more, it’s all I can afford’ etc.
My thought was to hang back and see how it goes, then perhaps try and give a bit more to help the final tally. Because I hadn’t contributed, I received a message from him telling me he wants nothing to do with me again etc etc etc. So, I guess I’m a total git..

I will go on to add the usual stuff, I give to certain charities every year, the amount depends on what I can afford, I guess like many folk do.

But, you know what? I don’t care if he thinks I’m a git. He owns £5 million pounds worth of rental property, and as my other half commented, ‘why doesn’t he just give the charity £10k? It’s not like he can’t afford it’.

So, I’m a total git now.

A work mate and distant friend from the nineties is having treatment for cancer and he decided to run a marathon to raise money for an associated charity. He set up a funding page with the aim of raising a large total of £10,000 and sent me a link to it.
The fund raising has been slow, some folk had contributed and left comments like ‘sorry it’s not more, it’s all I can afford’ etc.
My thought was to hang back and see how it goes, then perhaps try and give a bit more to help the final tally. Because I hadn’t contributed, I received a message from him telling me he wants nothing to do with me again etc etc etc. So, I guess I’m a total git..

I will go on to add the usual stuff, I give to certain charities every year, the amount depends on what I can afford, I guess like many folk do.

But, you know what? I don’t care if he thinks I’m a git. He owns £5 million pounds worth of rental property, and as my other half commented, ‘why doesn’t he just give the charity £10k? It’s not like he can’t afford it’.

So, I’m a total git now.
It sounds like he is frustrated because his fundraising has not had the results he thought it would. He may have thought everyone adored him and would show that with their donations. The fact that you know that your distant friend owns 5 million pounds worth of rental properties suggests that he put this information out there so that people can admire his success.

The other key point here is that he is having cancer treatment. Cancer changes your life physically and psychologically. He may be under overwhelming stress.

Just my thoughts...

So, I’m a total git now.
I think in similar circumstances I would be a total git too.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back