Tyre failure

RichardP

My wheel trim looked loose and had to be pushed home repeatedly. Van had just been serviced with 2 new tyres . When I pulled the trim off I got a nasty surprise. This tyre wall had completely delaminated all round. Day before I was on the M8. Once I noticed this I was crawling anxiously to the nearest tyre depot☹️
PXL_20210705_102535847.jpg

Looking at the visible letters it's probably a Hankook Vantra. I have those and I've found them to be excellent. The delamination could be caused by a number of things I suppose, but it could be a manufacturing fault.

Jeez!

Lucky spot.

Did you go back/take it back to the place that fitted it for you (presuming it was one of the 2 new tyres that you recently had fitted)? If so, what did they say?

Jeez!

Lucky spot.

Did you go back/take it back to the place that fitted it for you (presuming it was one of the 2 new tyres that you recently had fitted)? If so, what did they say?
It doesn't look like it has only been on two days

Reactions: GMJ
We used to buy branded tyres in Doncaster, very good prices though poor life expectancy. In the end I got fed up after one lasted a week. It was replaced, but that’s not the point. I changed to another company outside the town, the tyres outlasted the vehicle. I now have to import the tyres I’m happy with. Trouble is some have lasted over ten years :(

That looks as if something has been rubbing against it , are the wheel trims polished on the edges ?
You can get bead wear when overwidth tyres for the rim size are fitted .

We used to buy branded tyres in Doncaster, very good prices though poor life expectancy. In the end I got fed up after one lasted a week. It was replaced, but that’s not the point. I changed to another company outside the town, the tyres outlasted the vehicle. I now have to import the tyres I’m happy with. Trouble is some have lasted over ten years :(
Are we not supposed to change tyres after 7 years regardless of wear. My van was about 15 years old when I bought her and had tyres like new! Had a couple of punctures until I brought them all up to date.

I recently had a bulging issue with one of my tyres on my 1992 Talbot Autosleeper. Fortunately, I managed to drive it to a tyre replacement shop, where the fitter enthusiastically reported that the tyre, which was the spare that I’d changed over to a few weeks ago, was also a 1992 tyre - original fitment! I never realised that the spare was that old...

I recently had a bulging issue with one of my tyres on my 1992 Talbot Autosleeper. Fortunately, I managed to drive it to a tyre replacement shop, where the fitter enthusiastically reported that the tyre, which was the spare that I’d changed over to a few weeks ago, was also a 1992 tyre - original fitment! I never realised that the spare was that old...
I bought an OKA truck (forward control army-type truck) and drove it from Perth to Sydney - 4000km - a looooonnng way.
Realised when I got home that the tyres were 14 year old michellins in perfect condition.

Are we not supposed to change tyres after 7 years regardless of wear. My van was about 15 years old when I bought her and had tyres like new! Had a couple of punctures until I brought them all up to date.
It's called preventative maintenance . (y)

So, not heard back whether it was supposedly a new tyre, or original.
I can’t understand why it was not visible until the wheel trim was removed - it shouldn’t exceed the wheel diameter!

The spare in my Talbot was made in Czechoslovakia. I believe that disappeared as a country around 1992!

Sorry for the lack of response - I wasn't able to locate my post until today!
This tyre fail was the last remaining of a set of 4 put on by the previous owner in May 2016. The receipt shows them as 215/70/15C Maxxis. This tyre had been on just over 5 years and we've done about 30K miles in it since 2017.
The offside tyre failed in the middle of nowhere last year, providing us with a super remote overnight wild camp. After that experience I fitted a TPMS which seems pretty effective.
Like many folk I've used pretty ancient tyres with no issues in the past and I'm assuming this was a manufacturing defect though it could have been run or standing at too low a pressure before we got it. Hard to say, but a cautionary tale ☹️

One of the reasons I stick to 10ply toughened wall commercial, quality tyres.
At present I have Michelin CrossClimate all seasons on. They are slightly dearer than the CP tyres, but oh, so much better.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back