Tyre pressures

Matata

Free Member

Reading the original Autocruise owners manual the Michelin recommended tyre pressures for a Star Spirit at 45/45 approx… yet all around the vehicle drivers door it gives the tyre dimensions and 79/79psi… huge difference… anyone any thoughts?? B

Reading the original Autocruise owners manual the Michelin recommended tyre pressures for a Star Spirit at 45/45 approx… yet all around the vehicle drivers door it gives the tyre dimensions and 79/79psi… huge difference… anyone any thoughts?? B
45PSI sounds awfully low for a Motorhome of around +3tonnes

What are the actual weights on each axle? What tyres are fitted? Thinking about my motorhome, 45 psi might well be appropriate for the front axle tyres for example whereas 79 psi would be rather high for the rears. I base my tyre pressures on recommendations from Continental (despite transitioning from Conti to Michelin) for the actual axle loadings; Michelin are reputed to recommend extremely high pressures on the basis that they assume that motorhomes are systematically overloaded.

My Mercedes handbook has a table of tyre pressures for front & rear axles, given a variety of tyre sizes and axle loads. For my vehicle and tyres the pressures are 45psi & 51psi (F&R).

I recently fitted new Goodyears, replacing 2 Vancos and 2 Toyos. As soon as I arrived the boss of the National Tyres store rushed out to check the maximum tyre pressures written on the side walls (because the Goodyears have a limit of 69psi, he told me). He was concerned that my previous tyres had a limit of 72psi but I told him what I intended using and he was happy.

Gordon

Mine set at 65psi on all 6 tyres.
That's what I had on my Dually (6 Wheeler) LT :)
'Normal' 4 wheel van I think the two rear tyres will be loaded up more than the fronts and need a higher pressure? (can't remember what my current 4-wheel 3850Kg van settings are off-hand - 60 front, 70 rear or something?)

65psi for fronts and 75psi for rears on Michelin Agilis Winter Tyres. A little harsh ride, but the tyre walls have reinforced patches on the outside, and these, plus the pressures, help to absorb potholes that masquerade as UK motorways and Trunk roads

Steve

The simple way is, pressure too low tyres will wear centre, to high and its the edges that wear, 5/10 psi eather way to what does the trick for your van, no two are the same.

I have used the lower pressures recommended in my motorhome handbook without any problems for the last 5 years. The plated pressures appear to have been placed there by the base vehicle manufacturer before the motorhome was built on the chassis and probably do nothing more than a cover all situations by quoting the maximum pressures the tyres can cope with.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back