Tyre Prices - UK vs EU ?

Vanterrier

Tyre Prices - UK vs EU ?

For the sake of this question lets first assume exchange rates dont change from what they are now

so, are tyres generally more expensive in the UK or on the continent?

my current tyres have 4-5000 miles left in them and I am planning a Euro-tour early summer next year and wonder if I should change tyres before I set off and lose some wear by changing early, or to change on the Continent mid-tour?

what do you think?

would be Continental VancoCamper or Vancontact 100 tyres x 4

K :Wink_Emoji:

I have just bought 5 Michelin Agilis Camping here in France and the prices including fitting was around 600€ - I looked at UK prices and they were more or less the same - the reason I chose Frace was it saved taking the MH back to the UK (expensive and risky on old tyres) or shipping the tyres out and paying to have them fitted. I was very pleased with the service I got and great care was taken to ensure the correct inflation pressure. I was advised by our Controle Technique cntre that the tyres have to have the Camping logo on them for MH use so the cheaper "white van tyres" were not suitable - but they would have been considerably cheaper in the UK......

In your case I would probably err on the side of safety and change them early - tyres are the most important contact with road in fact the ONLY contact and your life depends on them working properly. The 4 - 5000 is who's estimate? It could go either way and towards the end of their life tyres are not as good as when new......

Last edited by a moderator:
You were really lucky to find them as cheap as that Dave.
In the Mayenne region one of the cheapest places for tyres is Feu Vert, see link for Continental camper tyres https://www.feuvert.fr/?Ntt=vanco+camper&Dy=1&Nty=1 those prices do not include fitting either, the conti's are normally considerably cheaper than the Michelin Agilis
If the OP is thinking of going down the route of buying in France remember most companies will not have them in stock, they will need to be delivered which depending on availability can take quite a few days, maybe a problem if touring around.
Often the big motorhome dealers will have stock but along with that will be eye watering prices.
As to your CT centre's remarks, don't know if that was their personal opinion but my Merc based Pilote with 235 x 16 and 119 load rate are not marked with a camper logo and has just successfully passed its CT.

Hmmm... availability of the Camper tyres might be a problem as you say, but I would have thought the Vanco100 tyres as used by blanc van homme would be fairly readily available.
prices look fairly similar from the link you posted ,thanks. Mines a PVC so using 215 70 15 size.
I think I will need to use the van a bit before the Continental Tour to get more use from the old tyres then change before we leave.
we might be in Germany, not France though... Contis being German I wonder if that makesxany difference?

when I replaced the cars tyres recently I bought them on line and two came from France and Two from Holland. Thats what got me thinking about buying over there...

K :Thinking_Face_Emoji

When I was doing European courier work I asked in several different countries including Luxembourg and the prices weren’t any better than the Uk they seemed to be a little more expensive or at the very best the same price.

We find France is quite cheap for tyres . We order them online and have them sent to the local Vulco ( think QuikFit ) . We arrange this for cars , vans etc.
different providers, depending on vehicle.
Prices up here in our low tax pyrenean base are good...but France usually beats it.

Ginebrosa;n9000 said:
Prices up here in our low tax pyrenean base are good...but France usually beats it.

Do you mean Andorra ? as I read tyre prices where good there

witzend;n9032 said:
Do you mean Andorra ? as I read tyre prices where good there
Yes . Tyre prices are very good here but we have often got better internet deals in France . No idea how they compare to UK as I haven’t been there for years ?

Ive had motorhome tyres fitted in Germany and a rear scooter tyre in France. Both were considerably more expensive than they would have been at home and both had to be ordered in. That said I think they were probably better quality than I would have got fitted here but because of the language barrier you kind of just have to go with what your offered and in my case for both I needed them ASAP so what choice do you have? Next time I am taking a rear scooter spare with me as they wear out after 3000 miles and I can easily do that and more in a summer and they are just never in stock abroad.

Ginebrosa;n9103 said:
Yes . Tyre prices are very good here but we have often got better internet deals in France . No idea how they compare to UK as I haven’t been there for years ?

You can compare here

When I was looking for new Continental AT tyres for my T4 Camper back in 2014, the best price I could find was from a German seller. I think the Michelin Cross-Climates I bought in Oct '15 might have been from the Continent as well?
I find the main on-line retailers quite expensive.

Best place I've found for my particular tyres was mytyres.com.

Got 4 Nokian Hakkepelliitas 195/70/15C studded for 480 delivered, I think they came from Germany.

I did look on other sites like Camskil etc., they advertise a cheaper price but when you go to their site they don't stock them!

Phill

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought 4 Hankooks for my car from mytyres and two came from France and Two came from Holland. Thats why I thought they might all be cheaper over there.

k

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back