Tyres

Nigel L

Hi all, we are due to collect our new Campervan in a couple of weeks time, and it has Continental tyres fitted 215/75 R16 C.
Now, on our previous Camper, we also had continental tyres, but were 225/75 R16 CP.
I wasn’t overly impressed with the ride to be honest, as found the Camper tyres a bit too stiff. The tyres on the new van look like they are Commercial tyres and 215 as opposed to the Camper 225.
Now, not knowing a great deal about tyres, can anyone advise whether the commercial tyres will give a better ride, and will the difference between 225 and 215 make any difference? Will the slightly narrower (215) be better in wet/slippery conditions?
and finally would you still consider swapping to four season type tyres.
Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Hi Nigel and welcome to Motorhomer.

Tyres, We will all have a different feeling about that due to how deep our pockets are, and how we use the van, for myself (confessed tight arse) bereft of funds of any real substance I buy the cheapest van tyres I can find, usually using Black circle on't web, I wouldn't worry too much about the width it's negligible unless you travel fully loaded all the time as they will bear the weight marginally better, but not much in it, Pressure is the key, too hard and it'll loosen fillings too soft and it might be a bit mushy on twisty roads, I go soft usually as I don't drive fast, I'm on holiday, I like the base of my tyres to stick out about 3/4'' each side the wear seems to be ok so it can't be far off, gives a softer ride.

Hi all, we are due to collect our new Campervan in a couple of weeks time, and it has Continental tyres fitted 215/75 R16 C.
Now, on our previous Camper, we also had continental tyres, but were 225/75 R16 CP.
I wasn’t overly impressed with the ride to be honest, as found the Camper tyres a bit too stiff. The tyres on the new van look like they are Commercial tyres and 215 as opposed to the Camper 225.
Now, not knowing a great deal about tyres, can anyone advise whether the commercial tyres will give a better ride, and will the difference between 225 and 215 make any difference? Will the slightly narrower (215) be better in wet/slippery conditions?
and finally would you still consider swapping to four season type tyres.
Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Check rules (France certainly) on winter tyres (3peaks) if you intend to travel winter months

Whats your new campervan?

I would have thought the tyres fitted to your new van would give a slightly softer ride than the stiffer CP tyres but to be honest I think having whatever tyres you choose at the correct pressure would give the best ride.
As always, take your van in touring trim to a weighbridge and get the front and rear axle weights then consult Continentals tyre pressure chart for your tyre to see what they recommend. Its funny but I always feel their recommendations are on the soft side(?)
K ;)

Whats your new campervan?

I would have thought the tyres fitted to your new van would give a slightly softer ride than the stiffer CP tyres but to be honest I think having whatever tyres you choose at the correct pressure would give the best ride.
As always, take your van in touring trim to a weighbridge and get the front and rear axle weights then consult Continentals tyre pressure chart for your tyre to see what they recommend. Its funny but I always feel their recommendations are on the soft side(?)
K ;)
Hi, it’s an Oslo from Consort. It’s 6.36 on a Maxi chassis.
Yes, found Continental were brilliant on our previous van, got axle weights sent them to them, and within an hour had the recommended psi figures👍
They were Camping tyres, which I found a hard ride, but once lowered to the recommended pressures from Continental, was much improved.
The new van has commercial tyres, so hopefully not such a stiff wall, but are still summer tyres, hence my desire to change to tyres more capable in the wetter/colder climate Etc.

If you do decide to drop your tyre pressures, following of course the guidelines suggested by Continental, and if these pressures are lower than those given in the owners manual, make certain you carry a copy of the Continental paperwork with you.
This is just in case of any kind or type of roadside checks being carried out by the authorities.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back