Underused CL in Devon

Is it underused due to not wanting Motorhomer’s in the area?
It happens, not necessarily down to the area ( in fact that area in Devon does allow some overnight parking I recall).
Ours is a £5 a night Aire up at Fraserburgh and we are under used too. I think the cost of diesel and everyone wanting to go abroad is having an effect this year.
That one is Devon looks gorgeous. Hope people use it or small places like this will close.

Nope, the site is not level but vans can be made level with ramps easily enough. There's plenty gravel handstand on the spacious site and the owner was very welcoming. I can't see why motorhomers would feel unwelcome in the area.
K :unsure:

During our recent 14 night tour down to Cornwall then along the South Coast through the New Forest and into the South Downs then home via Rutland, we stayed on CL's each night and paid £5 -10 and as you say they were almost all very quiet. Yet we passed numerous nearby commercial sites that appeared rammed full and their charges would have been substantially higher...
K ;)

Although we’ve been doing this van thing for a few years I have never joined either of the big two.
CLs like this seem to be excellent value so perhaps we will investigate joining one of them.
Especially with the perceived anti wild camping approach around the UK.

First though I took a look at the ‘club’ web site and also noticed there is a app called ‘CL booking’

This site is listed on the club website but is not on the app they all seemed to be mostly in the £15-£20 range.
The clubs search facility didn’t seem to offer a map of sites to drill down into similar to park4night etc which I find easier to use.

Is there one, once joined and signed in?

I did find the CL on the search for sites app but only one review and no photos so perhaps @Vanterrier might like to add a review and the picture above to that?

Last edited:
The CL booking site is run by the chairman of the CAMC CL owners group. When I contacted him about allowing members to do service stopoffs, for a fee, on CL sites he was horified at the very idea. In fact he felt that Motorhomes who stopped on his site for one night only should be charged extra as they empty waste, fill with water and put rubbish in bins.

I think you need to differentiate between the two big and overly regimented clubs and their CL/CS's which can vary hugely as they are effectively privately owned and run.
The search on the CAMC app is not too bad but a bit clunky and relies on a good signal (not always guaranteed of course)
We generally only look at sites below £10 which I would estimate is only around 10-15% of the CL's in England and Wales.
I also have a "POI" file of CL locations loaded on my Garmin which makes finding the actual sites easier in most cases... a search by postcode can sometimes take you quite a distance away.
We NEVER book ahead and are rarely disappointed.
I'm not sure how to leave a review for CL's on the CAMC app, im sure I have done on the past??? I did leave a review for the above site on Search4sites...
So, I don't like the CAMC or their main and affiliated sites but I do like the CL's in most cases. I just find camping Wild in England too much hassle.
You pays your money...
K ;)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back