Updating dated woodwork

andromeda

Has anyone considered/done wrapping the wood work in their vans to modernise it a bit? My now mature van is feeling a little past its best and I would like to smarten it up a bit. Not a lot of pennies because my house needs sorting as well. Polite suggestions gratefully recieved

I think wrapping would make it quite expensive unless your prepared to DIY. I tried it on the bonnet..flaking paint....and while it looks easy on tutorials, it isn't. Have you thought about using something like Fablon...it's thicker and much easier to handle......some nice designs too.

It all depends on how good you are at putting the vynl on.
I used to do work for a graphic design business and they used a small plastic scraper tool which had a half round side a a slightly sharper but still rounded on the other side, a craft knife and a hot air gun, plus a spray bottle with water mixed with just a little washing up liquid.
To apply the vynl they would cut a piece , remove a small amount of the backing and then spray the area with the solution and the put the vynl on slowly, the sloution allows you to move or remove the vynl until it's right. The hot air gun is for molding the vynl and also if you stretch it, it will go back to it previous size with a bit of heat.
To sum up have a practice before you start and if you don't get on revert to painting them instead.

If you go the painting route I recommend Little Greene eggshell. Start with their primer and apply with a small foam roller for a good finish. I have refreshed a few pieces of old brown furniture this way with great results.

I'd be inclined to Scumble it, and you choose the colours, dead easy to do after 5mins practice and would be unique, whatever path you decide on cleanliness is absolutely critical, if you can avoid it don't sand anything inside the van as this pollutes the ais and you will have too much dust to get it clean again, Sugar soap is really good but do the job twice as you will miss some areas regardless of how good a job you think you did.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back