Upgrading The Control Panel

StreetSleeper

With all the work I've done recently to the internals of the van I always felt the control panel looked out of place so, today, I decided to do something about it.

DSCN3687.JPG

First job was to upgrade the fuse holder from glass to blade.

DSCN3690.JPG

Next part of the job, cut four pieces of wood and stick them together. This was a fairly straightforward job, long bit at the back and two squares and one oblong stuck on the top. The two squares will have a clock on one side and a round gauge on the other, the oblong will house six rocker switches and a USB port. I'm now just waiting for the rest of the parts to arrive.

DSCN3691.JPG

Rae

wildebus

Looks good :)
Are you refitting the Zig Panel or replacing it with the separate bits?

wildebus

depending on the look that is being gone for, I like the CBE 4 way fuseboxes

They are designed to be on-show, so would not suit all setups (I like them with the "Day Van" conversions which tend to be more minimalist)
They use the standard CBE Form Factor so can be used next to Switches and Sockets in 1, 2 or 3 Gang Sets

StreetSleeper

Hello David,
That, too, is a smart piece of kit. I'm hoping to bury the fuse holder behind the hinged panel so it won't be seen but still have easy access to it.

Rae

nabsim

Good idea Rae, I have been wanting to tidy up the wiring in ours but I am loathe to inadvertently take it out of action (my normal MO). There are a lot of wires and fuses in my electrical cupboard and will need either a 12 or 16 way fuse box :(

I will get one fitted at some point and move cables one at a time trying to identify what each one is. Watching the progress here with interest :)

wildebus

Good idea Rae, I have been wanting to tidy up the wiring in ours but I am loathe to inadvertently take it out of action (my normal MO). There are a lot of wires and fuses in my electrical cupboard and will need either a 12 or 16 way fuse box :(

I will get one fitted at some point and move cables one at a time trying to identify what each one is. Watching the progress here with interest :)
You are unlikely to get a 16 Way fuse box and 12 Way ones can be awkward to use sometimes as well. I would split the wiring into groups and have multiple fuseboxes - 1 for each group. (I run a 10-Way (main distribution), a 6 way (system monitorings) and a 4 way (kitchen))

nabsim

16 way fuse box here although I like the idea of the led indicator ones and don’t think they go this big 16 way blade fuse holder

I like the idea of splitting as you say but it’s fairky crowded now and as it will be move one every now and then I will settle for knowing what each is for and relocated if I can.

wildebus

16 way fuse box here although I like the idea of the led indicator ones and don’t think they go this big 16 way blade fuse holder

I like the idea of splitting as you say but it’s fairky crowded now and as it will be move one every now and then I will settle for knowing what each is for and relocated if I can.
that is a 16-way but have you looked at the details of how it works?? It would be a major hassle to use it for most setups.
The LED indicator models are nifty but do tend to stop at the 10 way versions (I do 2, 4, 6 and 10 way ones, but the 12-way is a unit without the blown fuse indicator).

Everyone has their own way of doing things, but TBH moving a connection "every now and then" sounds like a recipe for disaster to me (and especially with that 16-way Fuse Box!)

St3v3

Have you got a remote switch for your inverter sorted yet? I believe you can use a simple switch for control - you don't need the expensive victron thing. I have been able to with my multi, and the panel you're making might be a good place for it :)

StreetSleeper

What does that do then?
Hello Eric,
This stops Annie having to get on her hands and knees and find the on/off switch on the front of the inverter that's sandwiched between the passenger seat and the habitation seat. All we have to do is link that little switch up and the problem is solved......well that's the theory. I have another five arriving with all manner of titles and pictures to suit.

Rae

saxonborg

Hello Eric,
This stops Annie having to get on her hands and knees and find the on/off switch on the front of the inverter that's sandwiched between the passenger seat and the habitation seat. All we have to do is link that little switch up and the problem is solved......well that's the theory. I have another five arriving with all manner of titles and pictures to suit.

Rae
Ah I see, thanks for that, just being nosey😜

nabsim

What will those switches take amp wise Rae?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)