Use an old phone as a motorhome surveillance camera

Idiots guide?........do I need a sim card in the phone....if so where and what Please? :rolleyes:
Not if you use it at home on your own WiFi .but yes you need a sim with data but only use it when you leave the van.

Just seen something that if you have an old iPhone 5, you need to update the iOS or some functions will not work after 3rd? November.

I have a "Ring" video doorbell which covers my motorhome and car in the drive, I also have two "Ring" security cameras which cover the back of the house and garden. They are very effective and are very visible so act as a great deterrent and on one occasion proved their worth when a traveller type who was he said, was doing some work down the road and that as his uncle laid our drive wanted to offer us a great deal on power washing. What he didn't know was I did the drive myself, what he didn't like was the doorbell camera recording him, he twisted and turned in every direction to avoid it recording his face but it did so nicely, I doubt I will see him again. These devices alert me instantly to any movement in the area they cover and then record it, the images are stored for 30 days or forever if I wish and there is an annual fee of £80 which I think is fine. The cameras are often on Ebay but they can be bought cheaper direct from Ring for £89 and a second one gets a 10% discount. The doorbell camera if more expensive. A further feature with the doorbell and cameras is two way talk so you can tell whoever is at the door whatever you like , they don't know if your home or not and with the cameras you can set off a shrill alarm if you see someone or something you don't like the when you are alerted.

The "Presence" system is fine but has little deterrence since its not visible by a naughty person. I would far sooner prevent an issue by an obvious security system. also only the basic version is free, to save video I think you have to pay a monthly fee.

A similar system called 'Alfred Camera' works well. I have it set up on an old phone and my new one. Someone suggested it on here or WC a while back.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back