Using An Amazon Echo Show In A Motorhome

My Grandson has an Amazon Echo Show 5 and yesterday encouraged me to have a play with it.
I have to say that I was impressed with the device and thought that, for it's size, it has a very good audio output and a useful selection of 'skills'.
Just before leaving my family I had a quick look at the mains supply for the Show 5 and noticed that it has a 12V DC output feeding a plug that goes into the back of the Show 5.
I'm thinking of getting a Show of one flavour or another, making up a 12V supply cable and plug and using it in the Moho.
I currently use a Roberts 'mains' internet radio in the Moho which is powered in this way. The Roberts internet radio logs on to my phone's wifi hotspot and I'd do something similar with the Show.
Has anyone already tried this arrangement with an Amazon Show in a motorhome?

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

I have used a selection in my Van and I find they work very well.

I also noted the fact that the first one I tried (an Echo Spot I think? I have 4 different models!) uses a 240V AC - 12V transformer but ...
  1. While I haven't tested this for obvious reasons, I think it actually wants 12V DC, and not the kind of variable Voltage level found on the "12V" outputs of a typical Motorhome. Go higher, get blown? Anyone wants to check if it doesn't matter, be good to know, but I am not going to :)
  2. The different Amazon Echo models may use different voltages. The first I used wanted 12V DC input. Another one I have is 15V DC input for example. So when you say different flavours of echos, they like to taste different volts as well ;)
What I did, primarily for #1 but also happened to work very well for reason #2, is to get a Buck/Boost regulator - specifically this one:

I have used a selection in my Van and I find they work very well.

I also noted the fact that the first one I tried (an Echo Spot I think? I have 4 different models!) uses a 240V AC - 12V transformer but ...
  1. While I haven't tested this for obvious reasons, I think it actually wants 12V DC, and not the kind of variable Voltage level found on the "12V" outputs of a typical Motorhome. Go higher, get blown? Anyone wants to check if it doesn't matter, be good to know, but I am not going to :)
  2. The different Amazon Echo models may use different voltages. The first I used wanted 12V DC input. Another one I have is 15V DC input for example. So when you say different flavours of echos, they like to taste different volts as well ;)
What I did, primarily for #1 but also happened to work very well for reason #2, is to get a Buck/Boost regulator - specifically this one:

Thanks, wildebus, a very helpful response - it's much appreciated.
The Roberts internet radio (an 83i, I think) works on the (unintentionally) 'variable' 12V DC supply in the Moho very happily and has done for some years.
I'll do a bit more research before jumping in.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Last edited:
I have had an echo dot in the van for ages now, I had the same concern as Dave so use a stabilised 12v supply, use the same to drive my 4g router 👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back