Using mobile to provide web access to lappie?

Borders2

We have read this is possible but can anyone point to a step by step guide to this please? Please note an Android phone not an I thingy.

B2

We have read this is possible but can anyone point to a step by step guide to this please? Please note an Android phone not an I thingy.

B2
If I am reading this right, it is just a matter of:
1) creating a Hotspot on your Mobile (can be Wifi, Bluetooth or Cabled, but WiFi is the easiest). Here is one step-by-step guide: https://www.androidauthority.com/mobile-hotspot-setup-631280/
2) On the Laptop, look for the Hotspot Access Point and connect to it.

Job Done.

Also, check your mobile provider's terms and conditions. Some tariffs don't permit tethering, which is what this is called.

Probably best you check what data allowance you have as well. Once you connect a laptop they consume a lot more data than a smart phone. Windows 7 and 8 you can turn updates off but 10 you cant really, well you can to an extent, there is a metered connection option in settings. Should be fine if your on 10-20-30gb etc but a 2 or 4gb allowance you can easily reach on a laptop these days.

Thanks all esp Wildebus as connection created and tested. We only intend to use this for checking google earth on the odd occasion an overnight spot is not useable. Certainly not for day to day chit chat. :)

There are very few tablets that have a slot for a SIM card. I doubt very much yours will otherwise you will already be aware of it (as the extra price premium will have made you wonder why!)

Well we have a tablet but how does this work please?
In settings
You set your phone to data on. Ensure it is on the network 4G if possible.
set the phone as a portable hot spot. On my phone it is in settings, tethering and portable hot spots. You set a log in password.
Set your tablet to wifi and you should see your phone and with the password log in.

You can now use your tablet connected by wifi with your phone and the phone acting as the router to the network.

Last edited:
I see the confusion here. Our tablet does not AFAIK take a sim card. If you see my teckie description above... £100 some years ago. So until we change that its going to be the phone I fear.

Thanks

I see the confusion here. Our tablet does not AFAIK take a sim card. If you see my teckie description above... £100 some years ago. So until we change that its going to be the phone I fear.

Thanks
You do not need a SIM in the tablet. The SIM is in the phone. You operate the tablet on wifi just as you would at home to your router and it is the phone which operates over the network. https://www.4g.co.uk/news/tethering-explained/

Ah ok understand now.

Well.... we set off on Saturday, not very far but on arrival could we find the spot we had looked at on Google Earth so we booted up the lappie and the phone, went shopping while GE loaded up, sussed out where we had gone wrong and ten minutes later we were on location and sorted. Yep this phone dodge is a cracker. :)

Many thanks again.

B2

This phone hotspot stuff is dead handy :)
I'm sat in my Camper in a field in Solihull, typing this on my Laptop connected to my hotspot and watching TV on the Tablet connected to the same hotspot, while monitoring my Battery charger on the phone on same hotspot (y)

We are just back from Berwick. The dogs had a ball on the beach. Whippets at full speed are impressive!

B2

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back