Using my mobile when abroad in the EU

GMJ

Please be gentle as I am a techo-numpty
tango_face_grin.png

On previous trips abroad I have just used my mobile when required (VERY infrequently) however someone I know was trying to explain that I should have "Roaming" switched on and then it would be cheaper to use it?!

Now I am aware that the EU has banned roaming charges within the EU which seems to back up my friends assertion however how do I switch roaming on?

Secondly I am aware that some apps auto update but I don't want my phone to be accessing data as we have a very small data allowance. I don't want this "roaming" to mean that my phone is accessing data 24/7 and I'll get stung with a big bill...

NB I don't want to change my phone/provider/SIM card either so whilst these suggestions may be well meant they wont be taken up
tango_face_wink.png

ta

Graham
tango_face_smile.png

Without roaming switched on I don’t think it would work on any network, other than your home one. I could be wrong but that is my understanding and I didn’t think it had anything to do with the charges, just access to other networks.

Reactions: GMJ
I realise you may not want to change provider, but first of all who is yours? And what does it give you?

It’s just that I am on 3 and my package is £17pm for 200 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data. This is the same wherever I am in Europe. I can shut off the apps I don’t want to auto update to save speed and data (not needed)

You need to bear in mind that 4g which is common over here is a tad difficult to find elsewhere, I never found any in France last year. So data streaming is a bit slower.

If you are using an Andriod phone you can change the setting yourself for updating apps.

Play Store > Menu ( 3 little bars ) > Settings > Auto-update apps > Over any network, Over Wi-Fi only, Don`t auto-update apps ( choose one ) > Done.

I have no experience of IOS ( iPhone )

Duplicate message

If you are using an Andriod phone you can change the setting yourself for updating apps.

Play Store > Menu ( 3 little bars ) > Settings > Auto-update apps > Over any network, Over Wi-Fi only, Don`t auto-update apps ( choose one ) > Done.

I have no experience of IOS ( iPhone )

Done that - thanks. Using data unknowingly was a concern...

Graham
smile.gif

So if it helps/has any bearing...

Looking in SETTINGS and then MOBILE NETWORKS on my phone I have the following options...

Data Connection ----- currently 'off'

Data roaming - connect to data services when roaming - --- currently off

Switch to mobile data - Ask me whether to resume using my mobile data connection when Wifi is disconnected -----currently on 'Resume Mobile Data'

Network Mode ---- currently 3G/2G auto selected

Access Point Names ------currently EE Everywhere selected

Network Operators - choose a network operator --------Choose automatically selected

Do I need to do anything different here?

ta

Graham
tango_face_smile.png

Looks fine and so long as you have Auto update apps set at either Over Wi-Fi only or Don`t update apps it will not use any data abroad.

You`ll be able to leave the roaming switched on once you get over the channel and the phone will automatically connect to the appropriate roaming partner.

I`ve found with my provider ( Three ) that sometimes it`s better to manually select the roaming partner to get a better signal.

I have a list of Three`s roaming partners all around the world so i know which to connect to in the respective country.

Last edited:
Update

It looks as if I have disabled auto updates on both phones.

Plus I spoke to my service provider (EE) and the phones are good to go for use in France and Spain without any hidden charges....

...and as a final check my son is going to look at them on Sunday when we see him prior to departing!

So it looks as though we are sorted. Thanks to those who helped/tried to help...much appreciated.

Graham
tango_face_smile.png

I have a data only sim with 3 that gives 4gb data unlimited calls and texts and works abroad in Spain Portugal and France for £9 a month.
Suits me sir!

I have a data only sim with 3 that gives 4gb data unlimited calls and texts and works abroad in Spain Portugal and France for £9 a month.
Suits me sir!

That`s not a data only sim, it`s a phone sim only plan with data.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back