using pocket hole jig for dowelling

Nice . never heard of that before , never had cause to use one ,,but have wanged a few nails in at that angle when shed building etc.

It didn't look that strong to me, it looked to move when he applied force, if using wooden dowels I'd have put glue on the mating faces and into the leg first, but the idea is good, I might have made it mega strong by using epoxy glue and using steel rod or all thread.

I bought a Joint Genie, designed by an ex aircraft engineer,about 15 years ago. Brilliant bit of kit that aligns on 2 planes [excuse the pun] to ensure perfect spacing and alignment of the dowels across the edge of the wood. Using spacers,ot was possible to offset the dowels from dead centre if needed, or to insert a second row of dowels in thicker wood.One of the demonstrator 'party tricks' was to take a piece of wood, crack it into jagged edge pieces, and then use the Joint Genie to remake it into one perfectly aligned piece with the dowels

Joint Genie dowelling jig

Steve

I did use one a few times on the self build, okay for building frames but I preferred lap joints (and dancing) much stronger with epoxy glue, but mainly I could use plastic moulded corners with screws and Sika really solid joints.

I did use one a few times on the self build, okay for building frames but I preferred lap joints (and dancing) much stronger with epoxy glue, but mainly I could use plastic moulded corners with screws and Sika really solid joints.

I also have a biscuit jointer that makes really beefy joints, especially in thicker wood; but it can give a slight 'kick' and leave the 2nd piece of wood very slightly proud of the 1st piece. Sandpaper is a wonderful thing ...

Steve

I have one and they are good if using the same dimensioned timber a but a pain if having to adjust all the time

I used a Kreg Pocket Jig & Pocket Holes to make a large drawer box for my last camper among other things and I found the construction extremely robust. I would certainly not hesitate to use again to make campervan and other furniture.

As they say ... just saying ....

Posh git, I couldn't afford the Kreg one I got the Trend one, if they were not so bloody expensive I would have bought Robinson screws for the build, but you need so many different sizes, I bought a Screwfix kit of assorted Panheads, just as good for pocket screws. back in the 90s, we had a rep come round selling kits of square drive screws we bought loads, but all gone now. I think they might have been invented up the road from us in Shipley, never had one slip, dunno why we still have crappy Pozi drives and Phillips.

Posh git, I couldn't afford the Kreg one I got the Trend one, if they were not so bloody expensive I would have bought Robinson screws for the build, but you need so many different sizes, I bought a Screwfix kit of assorted Panheads, just as good for pocket screws. back in the 90s, we had a rep come round selling kits of square drive screws we bought loads, but all gone now. I think they might have been invented up the road from us in Shipley, never had one slip, dunno why we still have crappy Pozi drives and Phillips.
Why don't we have the Robertson Screws in general use? Blame Ford and his meaness to not pay for the rights to Robertson in Canada.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back