Van cab or A-class?

Phantom

I'm quite happy with our moho but just wondering what the A-class version is like to drive? I know that you just get used to road position in whatever, but does actually viewing the full width up front make any difference? Easier or just the same?

I think it depends on your height I’m just under 5’ and I took a Hymer AClass for a test drive and for me it felt wrong it was a bit like driving a car from the back seat but I dare say you would get used to it. 👍

I think it depends on your height I’m just under 5’ and I took a Hymer AClass for a test drive and for me it felt wrong it was a bit like driving a car from the back seat but I dare say you would get used to it.
I expect that it would no doubt feel a bit strange to start with. Though would maybe feel more natural after a while?

We have only ever had A class vans and we love them. However I do worry about things like the non-standard windscreen (insured but difficult to get replacements), non-standard exhaust layout and access to the engine bay, which can be very difficult and makes repairs costly. With a van cab everything is standard with replacement parts easy to come by.

I've had both and love the A class, I'm 6ft 8in tall and found the cab in the c class to be claustrophobic and also had to change the wiper blade for a larger one so I could see out of the top of the windscreen.
I think it would be difficult for me to go back to a c class.

The thing that would concern me most about an A-Class is when they get to an age where a Windscreen replacement is not just hard to find but impossible and could result in the vehicle being written off and undriveable.

Never driven one but when I have sat in one it does feel like you are way away from the front. Guess it is just a matter of getting used to it but must be a bit weird until you get used to it, as others have said :)

I've had both and love the A class, I'm 6ft 8in tall and found the cab in the c class to be claustrophobic and also had to change the wiper blade for a larger one so I could see out of the top of the windscreen.
I think it would be difficult for me to go back to a c class.
Think it depends on layout though Lee. I know I am a dwarf compared to you but I can stand up in the cab with quiet a lot of room above my head in ours. You step up 3 or 4 inches from cab to hab area. I know this isn’t usual for most C class though.

Not that I do much under the bonnet as I suspect is normal with most owners but on that Hymer Charlie had it was a pain to get to the engine. Can’t remember what it was he was doing now but wasn’t easy.

Saying that I like the idea of a drop down bed at the front with an A class and for folks wanting shorter vans it helps a lot.

Think it depends on layout though Lee. I know I am a dwarf compared to you but I can stand up in the cab with quiet a lot of room above my head in ours. You step up 3 or 4 inches from cab to hab area. I know this isn’t usual for most C class though.

Not that I do much under the bonnet as I suspect is normal with most owners but on that Hymer Charlie had it was a pain to get to the engine. Can’t remember what it was he was doing now but wasn’t easy.

Saying that I like the idea of a drop down bed at the front with an A class and for folks wanting shorter vans it helps a lot.
I think the drop down over the cab on A classes is a great boon (y)

I've seen video tours of C Class motorhomes with the central drop-down beds - not sure if I like those as very often when they are dropped not only do you lose access to the seats below but on many it looks like you lose proper access to the habitation door!

A class gives you more room in cab makes longer journeys seem more comfortable. I’ve just got a new automatic vw crafter for work and find the cab very spacious and well laid out. If I can find a decent layout motorhome based on the new crafter I’d change tomorrow the engine and gearbox are as smooth as any car I’ve ever drove and you can feel the difference in build quality compared to my current fiat A class.

The thing that would concern me most about an A-Class is when they get to an age where a Windscreen replacement is not just hard to find but impossible and could result in the vehicle being written off and undriveable.

Never driven one but when I have sat in one it does feel like you are way away from the front. Guess it is just a matter of getting used to it but must be a bit weird until you get used to it, as others have said :)
There are folk out there who can make any screen, some are hand cut from bus or truck screens, they can even heat and bend them.

Last edited:
Wildebus posted:)

When I got my first A class and I was like you apprehensive but after 10 mins driving it became perfected normal.
Also because of the fact that the extra vision and the sides of the van being flat rather than stepped I found the driving much easier.
Just to reiterate I would find it difficult going back to a C class.

Last edited:
I have had both van cab and A class and without a doubt I find the A class easier to drive. The width of the vehicle is just something you naturally know because the front corners are always on the edges of your vision, not over your shoulder.

I think it depends on your height I’m just under 5’ and I took a Hymer AClass for a test drive and for me it felt wrong it was a bit like driving a car from the back seat but I dare say you would get used to it. 👍
I am 5'10" and like you it felt like sitting in the back seat lol.
Putting that aside the 15.0K price difference versus the c class I bought somewhat influenced my choice !

The van i have is available as an A class or with the identical layout but Fiat standard cab which was more than£6,000.oo cheaper.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back