VB Air Suspension

hurricane

Free Member

Been thinking for a while of fitting air suspension to my Autotrail Delaware with Alko chassis. It has a long rear overhang and in addition the towbar brackets come down below the rear panel. I have scraped the towbar along the ground a few times when entering/ exiting a ferry ramp. It's not damaging anything but the noise is not good to hear.
I have narrowed my search to VB air suspension that can lift the rear a bit to avoid grounding. They have three options. Semi air (rear only), 2c or 4c Full air system for rear or all four wheels. Apparently the full air has more height adjustment than the semi air manual system. For Alko chassis a diy fit is not possible.
Has anyone any experience of VB air for Alko and which system was fitted to your van.

Alan a few members have had a couple of rollers fitted at the tow bat crossbar to stop the tow bar bottoming out phil ,wully and a few others had different systems fitted to their vans from a company down south who give us a discount can't remember the name but will get back
think it's sap Doncaster

Alan a few members have had a couple of rollers fitted at the tow bat crossbar to stop the tow bar bottoming out phil ,wully and a few others had different systems fitted to their vans from a company down south who give us a discount can't remember the name but will get back
think it's sap Doncaster

Thanks Gordon. I know Wully had his fitted by SAP at Doncaster. It was VB air but not sure which option he went for as he has the tag axle. I have fiited a couple of shopping trolley wheels on the towbar but they collapse if turning at an angle.

We have VB Air suspension fitted to the rear of our Fiat chassis, I think the only bit of the original rear suspension is the axle. We had it fitted more to lower the rear of the van as they have a nose down attitude which means the tallest ramps available were always needed.

It always keeps the correct ride height, no matter how much water we carry or how much is on the tow hitch. For ferries the rear can be raised, and before levelling the van I often only adjust the rear up or down.

Ours were fitted by SAP in Doncaster, we drove there from Dorset because they have a good reputation. I can not fault their work and that's saying something.

Thanks xsilvergs. I am told with the Fiat chassis system they replace the axle bump stops with an air bag. This is not possible with an Alko chassis which really increases the cost. Does your van have the remote control or two air pressure dials and controls on the dash? Any idea of increase in height at the tow bar would be great.

Thanks xsilvergs. I am told with the Fiat chassis system they replace the axle bump stops with an air bag. This is not possible with an Alko chassis which really increases the cost. Does your van have the remote control or two air pressure dials and controls on the dash? Any idea of increase in height at the tow bar would be great.
We have a hand controller on an umbilical cord that comes out on the B pillar by hand brake, no guages. There are two Schrader valves for emergency use.

The remote has buttons, 2 are programmable height. I've seen the remote for a 4C, ours has only a few buttons but makes ferry and getting into fields etc easy without the trailer grounding. Mick programmed ours to use the handbrake lever as the over ride which works very well.

Been thinking for a while of fitting air suspension to my Autotrail Delaware with Alko chassis. It has a long rear overhang and in addition the towbar brackets come down below the rear panel. I have scraped the towbar along the ground a few times when entering/ exiting a ferry ramp. It's not damaging anything but the noise is not good to hear.
I have narrowed my search to VB air suspension that can lift the rear a bit to avoid grounding. They have three options. Semi air (rear only), 2c or 4c Full air system for rear or all four wheels. Apparently the full air has more height adjustment than the semi air manual system. For Alko chassis a diy fit is not possible.
Has anyone any experience of VB air for Alko and which system was fitted to your van.

I have VB full 4c air on my van. It is on the Fiat chassis but the rear springs are replaced with trailing arms. I love it for the self-levelling and although it is not a massive amount if you get fairly level the suspension will do the rest. I also like the tank emptying feature where the van leans to ensure the grey tank empties.

With the 4c you can make the van low at the front and high at the back, or vice-versa.

I have a little bubble level by my gearstick and I wiggle the van around to get as level as possible then turn on the ignition and press the level button. Being able to be level in laybys and car parks without the need for ramps is worth the cost for me. If the gradient is steeper it is best to park side on as the suspension can level out more that way. Hydraulic legs are much better if you really want to be level.

The difference in ride quality is quite honestly amazing. The difference made it like driving a different van.

Also, remember that SAP give out members 5% discount up to £500.

Here are some photos:

Rear down

IMG_0894.jpeg

Rear hign

IMG_0893.jpeg

Front down

IMG_0896.jpeg

Front up

IMG_0891.jpeg

Original rear setup

DSC00537.jpeg

With new suspension fitted

DSC00552.jpeg

New front strut

DSC00486.jpeg

If I change vans I would have it fitted again.

Appreciate the detailed photo's Phil. I am intending having 2c Full air fitted to the rear only with +15mm ride height and emergency inflation valves. Hopefully this will give me enough height to clear the rear on ferry ramps. I have already had a quick quote from SAP at Doncaster and even with a 5% discount there is nothing in it with a price I have received from Turriff Caravan Centre. Since we can't move the van at the moment (Scotland) TCC has come to my house to measure the van for fitting the correct kit. Very impressed with the correspondence and service so far from Turriff Caravan Centre and for us is a lot closer to home.

Update on the VB 2C Air suspension on Autotrail Delaware. Took the van up to Turriff Caravan Centre on Monday morning to have the kit fitted and collected it this morning. The difference in the drive home can only be described as amazing. No more buffeting when overtaking hgv's, Nothing like as much body roll on corners.
I have a towbar that sits kinda low at the rear and I measured it to the ground with the VB on low and then on high setting and the difference was 120mm. That's nearly 5"
We will now be able to use ferries without grounding which was a huge problem before.

The attention to my many questions and workmanship from Malcolm at TCC was first class and would recommend them to anyone in Scotland looking for air suspension or repairs.

Reactions: 2cv

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back