Vehicle Battery care

Chasn

Vehicle Battery Care
Motorhome vehicle batteries have a hard life. Firstly, like all diesel engine batteries,
the loads in them during starting are particularly demanding. High current heater coil loads and high cranking amps due to higher compression ratios takes their toll.
Secondly they are often left for months allowing the battery to slowly self discharge.

Two situations where failure to start can be avoided by wiring a smart charger into
the system.

Long lay off with EHU
Even with EHU (electric hook up) connected many motorhome vehicle batteries don’t receive charge. Some owners rely on solar, either through an extra connection from a solar panel controller or by connecting a temporarily mounted portable panel. Neither of these work reliably during the depths of winter. A smart charger permanently plugged in to a 240v socket in the MH with its output hardwired to the
vehicle battery will overcome this.

Cold start during wild camping
Very often the first indication that a battery is dying is the failure to start from cold in winter. This can be a particular problem when you are remote from help with no mobile signal. Even if you find help, jump starting some MH’s can be difficult due to the vehicle battery’s location. The irony is that there is often unusable energy sitting in the habitation battery. These batteries are unsuitable for jump starting but transferring 10A of energy for 30 minutes is usually sufficient to breathe new life into the vehicle battery. With a smart charger wired in as described above, if you have an inverter, by just turning it on the vehicle battery will receive charge.

A 10A smart charger can be bought for about £30. With a couple of hours of work you can overcome both the above failure to start scenarios.

Just changed the hab system to lithium they are also trickle charged with two 300 watt solar panels as for the starter battery. It is trickle charged by a 150 watt solar. Panel .

So far everything is ok

But before the conversion. Both hab batteries and the starter battery all lead acid ..were trickle charged with only the 2. X 300 watt solar panels
Again I never had a problem. .

I have never left the Moho on mains charger as it is stored approx 2 miles from one home.

Ablemail AMT12-2 Trickle Charger set to almost constant Trickle Charging [3 Amps for 9 seconds in every 10 seconds] the Vehicle Battery overcomes even Scottish Winter Solar limitations, leaving the Lithium Leisure to replenish itself over time. No EHU or faffing about needed, and, having only on street parking, no trip hazards from running cables across pavements either (y)

Steve

Two 90 amp standard h duty truck batteries in mine and a starter batt, all charged by solar except nov/dec and i have a numax smart charger in the sys which runs of EHU plug from my garage.
As for emergency starts, no problem as i have a 200amp relay heavy battery cable and switch at the dash, 5 mins and we are going.

I park on my drive in winter I connect to mains when solar can't cope I use a timer to connect to hook about an hour each day keeps both batterys topped up, until the sun takes over .

Having had a Renogy 30amp b2b with mppt that charges lb and VB with 400w panels with van not being moved Oct to April and checking state of charge never found lb or VB low all winter.Now added 220w panels and swopped 30a for 50a and flooded (220ah) for 340ah lithium will use BMS to keep lithium circa 60/70% next winter.
I know Renogy have their critics but I have used their stuff on van(S) and house in Spain for a number of years without fault and think particularly for the less knowledgeable the b2b mppt is quick and simple to install and use and at £170 for the 30amp 220 for 50a is very keenly priced and more than good enough for the average user

Back