Vehicle requirements for Foreign Gadabout

All you need to do it enter 'order crit'air sticker into Google.

Try www.certificat-air.gouv.fr [not certain it will work, because I lifted it from the email confirmation of my application, and stuck the 'www' at the front end!]. It should at least get you into the right area via a Google or DuckDuck search.

CritAir equivalent for Spain is not allowed for foreign registered vehicles. But, if you get a French Crit Air sticker, Spain assumes that your vehicle meets the emission regs!

Steve

That's why I've asked there many scam sites.
I had a French Motorhome Owner [she is also a Site Warden in Toulouse!] help me with the process, because my V5 has virtually no Emissions Regs information/data, so she was able to confirm that my French translation was OK, and she checked that I was using the French Government official website! God bless ya, Frankie!

And, after all that, the ECU blew, so we had to cancel the trip! But we did manage to do it 4 months later :D(y)

Steve

Make sure you pay no more than about €5 for a Crit Air sticker to ensure you are on the official website.

Spain is not issuing stickers to non Spanish registered vehicles, but will accept a Crit Air or German sticker as an equivalence for the Spanish system which appears to apply to towns with more than 50,000 inhabitants. Someone posted a link to the Spanish police site (N322?) giving this information, so probably accurate. If I come across it I will link it back to this thread.

Davy

Here is the link indicating which countries stickers are accepted in Spain.

Also a link to equivalent certification in other countries.

Davy

Last edited:
Why would you need to open another account to get an IBAN? Nationwide (who I think you said you're with) have IBAN (and BIC) in respect of their current accounts.
Did you have any problems entering details with Nationwide? Because they are not an international bank they require IBAN plus BIC details also of their Intermediary bank (Midland). I couldn’t get BIP&GO because their form had nowhere to insert these additional details .

Well Steve, you are very fortunate. We have a Nationwide Flexi Debit Card and have been charged for anything that involves a currency exchange. Still, not anymore, we love our Starling account.
You need the Flexplus account which you have to pay for to get the free transactions.

We are also planning a winter trip, main aim being to head south for a bit of warmth in late Jan and February. So will probably want to drive in France, Spain and Portugal.

I have been looking at the toll tags and read the above comments with interest. Do I take it that nobody admits to being over 3.5T ?
is there any risk of getting caught ? eg I know they can measure you at the tolls, but can they weigh you ?

Good info on the Mango Tag.

Does it work out cheaper to have a Tag or is it just the convenience ?

Paul.

No Paul, it doesn’t work out any cheaper but you get an invoice about a month later to advise you how much they will DD you about a month after that, so in effect you get two months credit.
Although having said that, I’m assuming Mango operate in the same way as our previous tags.
The real beauty of Mango is being able to use a single tag to tour France Italy Spain and Portugal without Chris falling out of the passenger window or dropping cash all over the road!

No Paul, it doesn’t work out any cheaper but you get an invoice about a month later to advise you how much they will DD you about a month after that, so in effect you get two months credit.
Although having said that, I’m assuming Mango operate in the same way as our previous tags.
The real beauty of Mango is being able to use a single tag to tour France Italy Spain and Portugal without Chris falling out of the passenger window or dropping cash all over the road!
Part of the holiday experience, Rog. And one learns basic colloquialisms from the queuing vehicles behind at the Toll Lane. Multi-lingual Anglo Saxon is a valuable commodity :D

Steve

Part of the holiday experience, Rog. And one learns basic colloquialisms from the queuing vehicles behind at the Toll Lane. Multi-lingual Anglo Saxon is a valuable commodity :D

Steve
That’s why I didn’t buy Chris the machine gun she wanted for Christmas!

Yes Phil, I’m using the Starling Bank but I don’t have a Euro account. We’ll see how this all plays out, but I may have to open one.
The tags we use at the moment are tied to our Nationwide account, but they charge for exchanging currency, whereas I don’t believe Starling do.
I received an automated reply to my application this morning, which simply says my email has been passed to Customer Services. I think I may hear something soon.
How did you manage to get Nationwide accepted? Mango has just refused mine as they don’t recognise Nationwide, this despite including the Intermediary Bank BIC.

How did you manage to get Nationwide accepted? Mango has just refused mine as they don’t recognise Nationwide, this despite including the Intermediary Bank BIC.
Mango refused mine using my Nationwide account, I've other bank accounts but they charge for foreign currency exchanges, so didn't want to use them. Nationwide flex plus doesn't charge and nearly gives the intermarket exchange rate. So I have had to give it up as a bad job. Just have to hope I don't go into the wrong toll booth lane this time and hold traffic up for half an hour again with everyone pipping there horns in frustration, an innocent mistake, put the Mrs of France forever. Eventually someone came and opened the automatic barrier for us and manually took the payment. 😭🤣

As we use our Starling account exclusively for travel, we decided to open a Euro account. It was simplicity itself! A single click and it was up and running, I shall wait until the exchange rate improves before transferring anything more than a token deposit, Mango have taken one euro out, to make sure the system is working, this I imagine will be deducted from my first bill.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back