Video on Knaus Factory

wildebus

This I think is an interesting video following the production of a Knaus A Class and the background of how the parts are made.

I found the way they modify the base Ducato cab interesting as well and not seen that before. I guess you could wonder why FIAT don't produce a A Class specific chassis but I suppose it gives the motorhome builder more flexibility as they have a base chassis/cab they can use for both A Class and Custom builds and adapt accordingly to their own specific spec.

Last time I went to the NEC show I did think the Knaus & Weinsburg motorhomes were the nicest there and would prefer them over other German brands like Hymer for sure (if at the time I was in the market for a new Motorhome, I would had ordered one of the Weinsburg they had on the stand :) )

As an aside, I wonder what they do with the initial prototype models they build to check all the parts fit? It looks like they complete the full build and it would be wasteful to just throw it all away! Sell off cheap to employees? Sell as a completed motorhome to a dealer? Or do they remove the hab body to free up the chassis for the next prototype?

Entertaining watch, thanks for posting it. The weather is atrocious here today so it passed a pleasant 45 minutes.

Davy

I wouldn't want to be in any sort of head on crash in one, crumple zones are all gone, replaced by plastic mouldings.

No faith involved unless you own one.

Plastic will provide a crumple zone, but not a very good one, they just didn't seem to put any structure back in at all.

This I think is an interesting video following the production of a Knaus A Class and the background of how the parts are made.

I found the way they modify the base Ducato cab interesting as well and not seen that before. I guess you could wonder why FIAT don't produce a A Class specific chassis but I suppose it gives the motorhome builder more flexibility as they have a base chassis/cab they can use for both A Class and Custom builds and adapt accordingly to their own specific spec.

Last time I went to the NEC show I did think the Knaus & Weinsburg motorhomes were the nicest there and would prefer them over other German brands like Hymer for sure (if at the time I was in the market for a new Motorhome, I would had ordered one of the Weinsburg they had on the stand :) )

As an aside, I wonder what they do with the initial prototype models they build to check all the parts fit? It looks like they complete the full build and it would be wasteful to just throw it all away! Sell off cheap to employees? Sell as a completed motorhome to a dealer? Or do they remove the hab body to free up the chassis for the next prototype?
Great to watch and the efficiency with which they produce them 👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back