Virgin Media

Deleted member 144

Hi I have had an E Mail from VIRGIN today telling me that from1st March my monthly payments for our Broadband and TV package are to increase by £5-75 per month and I can cancel my account without cost if I so choose , I have 6 months to run on it , wondering if others have this news as well, I see little point in cancelling at this stage because if Virgin are putting up their prices other suppliers will do likewise ?

We moved to Shell Internet & Phone Package 6 months ago because there is no 'CPI+3.9%' price rise inbuilt. Unlimited landline calls & 70Gb Fibre for £37.99pm,fixed for 18 months

Steve

Our Virgin package is unlimited broadband , great TV deal etc, free weekend phone calls which I do not want, I do not even want their phone line but it came with the package 18 month contract which we will be 1 year into 1st march with 6 months to run from then and all for £43 per month so it was a good deal but as I said it goes up by £5.75 from 1st March, we have had BT deals but the TV was very bad reception through our roof aerial kept pixilating , never had sky so may look at that some time, very happy with Virgin great service and no problems been with them for 5 years now, never had a price rise before but only ever had 1 year contracts before, just negotiate a new deal each year, but it seems with 18 month contract you are caught end of first year?

I have unlimited virgin package and the email i received quite clearly states that prices are going up but wont be applied until my deal finishes in December. Shortly before then as I have always done I will contact Virgin and renegotiate a new deal, if they don't give me an unbeatable price I will contact Sky etc and see who offers the best deal. I have done this for the past 10 years with no problem and have had the best deal available each time. New legislation means they have to offer existing customers the same terms as new customers. the only downside is you have to commit to a new 12/18 month contract.

We are with Virgin and also received the price increase email. However, it did state to commence from March 1st.
"We know a price rise is never welcome, but it’s essential we continue investing in our technology. To help us carry on this work, the price of your package will go up by £5.75 a month from 1st March"
I phoned cancellations and interestingly whilst in the queue they offered a discount of £5.75 for 6 months.

I have renewed both my Virgin broadband and Sky tv in the last 4 months and after threatening to leave both got a better package at a reduced cost for both.
Its the same scenario every time renewal comes around. The worrying thing is many won’t fight the providers and end up paying whatever they demand to stay with them.

Not new news Virgin etc seem to do this every year, we just ring them and ask to cancel, a few days later account retention rings us and does a deal.

We are with Virgin and also received the price increase email. However, it did state to commence from March 1st.
"We know a price rise is never welcome, but it’s essential we continue investing in our technology. To help us carry on this work, the price of your package will go up by £5.75 a month from 1st March"
I phoned cancellations and interestingly whilst in the queue they offered a discount of £5.75 for 6 months.
Thanks for the heads up, I did exactly as you did and got the same discount for 6 Months, I spent an hour waiting on the phone last night on Virgin chat line to complain about the raise in prices, but never got past the first stage of the call ie passwords etc and was then told I would be connected to a Rep to discuss my case, but after an hours wait I gave up, I also tried to phone them last night but no luck there either, I was pretty mad and wanted to have a row hee hee with someone, my point being is that if you have a contract for anything the wording on that contract should be binding for the term of the contract ? any way I got a discount , so will see what happens when my contract actually finishes.

Our Virgin package is unlimited broadband , great TV deal etc, free weekend phone calls which I do not want, I do not even want their phone line but it came with the package 18 month contract which we will be 1 year into 1st march with 6 months to run from then and all for £43 per month so it was a good deal but as I said it goes up by £5.75 from 1st March, we have had BT deals but the TV was very bad reception through our roof aerial kept pixilating , never had sky so may look at that some time, very happy with Virgin great service and no problems been with them for 5 years now, never had a price rise before but only ever had 1 year contracts before, just negotiate a new deal each year, but it seems with 18 month contract you are caught end of first year?
I posted this back in January , and after calling VIRGIN to cancel I was given a discount for 6 months of the £5 75 a month they were trying to impose on me, .well today 1st April I get an E Mail from Virgin saying my bill had been raised by £5 75 per month again, April fool I thought, NOT after a lot of hassle getting through to Virgin, [ WHATS APP NOW ] I have been given the discount back for another 6 months which actually means 3 months as Virgin seem to be on a different calendar to the rest of us ? So any one else affected should check their accounts ?

I cancel every time they put the price up, Barstewards.

You don't actually cancel you just tell them you want to if they increase the price midterm, been with Virgin for over 10 years, and never had to pay yet.

Oh boy, one of my favourite topics (not).

Due to the pandemic and changes forced upon us I had to cancel Virgin but it was impossible to talk to them. After several weeks of trying I gave up and adopted a change of strategy. I stopped paying them. Lo and behold within days Virgin wants to talk to me! I cancelled after another huge effort. Got charged their No Notice Cancellation fee. My argument that Virgin had not answered there phones for the cancellation line fell on deaf ears, 'I've been hear the whole time' she said. Oh and I had to return the TVIO box and cables.

Cut a long story short I get an email shortly after offering my a 50% discount. Needless to say I refused.

Same thing with the RAC as I was not so mobile anymore I decided to cancel the RAC. Again I was charged a 'Cancellation Fee'. Now I am getting emails for 50% off for the first year!

What these big companies seem to be doing is implement a price increase (that may or may not have anything to do with the rate of inflation) hoping people will just pay up. If you do refuse by cancelling they withdraw the increase by means of a 'discount'.

I replaced the RAC with a local garage and Virgin with EE mobile Broadband at a fraction of the cost. OK I don't have SKY or any of the other channels but Freeview is just as good. OH seems happy at in front of it and it gives me a moments respite.... No No No I did not just say that :)

Odd Virgin seems to answer when we ring them to cancel.

Was with RAC years ago, and AA, wouldn't touch them with a barge pole now, we're with CSMA who link into LV and we're recovered by local garages who are on Britannia Rescues approved list, been with them about 8 years now always good service

I phoned virgin today as was out of contract spoke to a lovely Indian lady told her I wanted a better deal after a few offers that I declined and put on hold a few times got a deal that nearly matching a new customer discount and fixed for 18 months so always pays to phone and haggle and got a bonus of getting Netflix included which wasn't part of my old contact so very happy

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back