VSR with Lithium, DON'T

I've use a lithium split charger for day one and that is over 5 year now and not had a prob with it ?.Screenshot_20240725-084326_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Don't shoot the messenger, I'm crap at lectrics.

A lot of the yanks use alternator charging even adding big second alternators with lifepo4. They fit a device to throttle the initial charging which is probably what your bit of kit does Geoff.

I didn't know I'd changed my name Neil lolol I thought it was JEFFREY lololol
Is it, I always thought you were same as my old chap, a Geoffrey lol

Apologies but I will probably get it wrong again in future lol

Is it, I always thought you were same as my old chap, a Geoffrey lol

Apologies but I will probably get it wrong again in future lol
I have a spreadsheet with all the names on Niel as I'm Terry Bubble.

Same here Jeff but with lead acid. Never missed a beat even through the depths of winter the starter battery has been up. Best £40 I ever spent on the van. I don't have it set up to use the hab battery for emergency starting mind.

Cheers

H
Thing to be aware of is that if you had a "normal" VSR or the Cyrix-Ct (rather than Jeff's Cyrix-Li), it would be no use at all with Lithium, but actually for a very different reason than given by 12V Planet!
The "off" threshold voltage is lower than a Lithium Batteries range until it is nearly fully discharged, so the VSR will turn ON fine when you start the engine but then will just stay on all the time.
The Cyrix-Li has a higher set of thresholds suitable for the operating range of Lithium Batteries (plus a different use for the terminal used as "start assist" on the Cyrix-Ct)

Thing to be aware of is that if you had a "normal" VSR or the Cyrix-Ct (rather than Jeff's Cyrix-Li), it would be no use at all with Lithium, but actually for a very different reason than given by 12V Planet!
The "off" threshold voltage is lower than a Lithium Batteries range until it is nearly fully discharged, so the VSR will turn ON fine when you start the engine but then will just stay on all the time.
The Cyrix-Li has a higher set of thresholds suitable for the operating range of Lithium Batteries (plus a different use for the terminal used as "start assist" on the Cyrix-Ct)
I did have the Ct at first when I had led acid batteries but Phil told me I need the Li for the Lithium.

I could have fitted anything in my van and I chose a Victron Cyrix Li (lithium VSR) rather than a B2B, but then I don't sell expensive B2B units.
The decision should be made based on the alternator.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back