Vuqube or Snipe

nabsim

Still not got the satellite tv out of my mind and dark nights have brought it back as a subject. We don't bother much with TV in the van on light nights but we are using the van year round and dark nights its nice to have the option. Currently we will use the fire stick but that is using data as well and relies on signal as does the tv aerial but aerial affected by trees as well.

So, does anyone have experience and recommendations for either of these systems?

VuQube system

Snipe system

When I change from a c class to a pvc 2 years ago decided against spending another 2k on an oyster roof mounted system so looked at other options.
Couldn’t be arsed with a manul tripod setup so it was either the Vucube or Snipe. Cannot remember why but went with the Snipe system. I have the version 2, there was reliability issues highlighted with the version 1 gearing which they resolved in the version 2 system.
It has been faultless in the 2 years I have used it. Always locks onto the satellite and easy software updates when required. The kit comes with the mounting plate etc to roof mount it but I didn’t bother, 2 minute job to setup with 2 connections.
I use it with my Avtex tv which has a built in satellite receiver and occasionally with a sky box if there is a football match or cycle race I want to watch.
I paid approx £600.00, not sure what the present price is.

It is actually the Snipe 2 that is of more interest to me I think OB some write ups on the Snipe 3 are listing gearing/parking problems. Did you just place it on the roof when you wanted to use it or on the ground/bike rack whatever? Thinking if I go this route that I would use it as a portable rather than fixed at least to start with

Still not got the satellite tv out of my mind and dark nights have brought it back as a subject. We don't bother much with TV in the van on light nights but we are using the van year round and dark nights its nice to have the option. Currently we will use the fire stick but that is using data as well and relies on signal as does the tv aerial but aerial affected by trees as well.

So, does anyone have experience and recommendations for either of these systems?

VuQube system

Snipe system
We bought a second hand Snipe system which has worked well, I have now fitted it on the roof for convenience and it continues to work ok. However you still need to be clear of obstructions just as the normal TV aerials. The other plus is that you can get radio stations through the sat connection so removes the load of the vehicle battery if you use your dash radio.

For what it is worth ( as we only MoHo in the summer and do not watch TV)
Snipe seems good not sure if you need an Avtex TV but maybe
Avtex come with a DVD player and is good on power.
So I would go Snipe and Avtex....BUT I have not !

We bought a second hand Snipe system which has worked well, I have now fitted it on the roof for convenience and it continues to work ok. However you still need to be clear of obstructions just as the normal TV aerials. The other plus is that you can get radio stations through the sat connection so removes the load of the vehicle battery if you use your dash radio.
Is your a Snipe 1, 2 or 3 Eric or is it one of their dome systems? Its the flat panel 2 I am leaning towards as I said in other post, can get a brand new one for just under £600 if I can find a second hand one anywhere but depending what they go for new may be a better option anyway.

For what it is worth ( as we only MoHo in the summer and do not watch TV)
Snipe seems good not sure if you need an Avtex TV but maybe
Avtex come with a DVD player and is good on power.
So I would go Snipe and Avtex....BUT I have not !

I have a 12v battery operated Cello Traveller tv with sat receiver built in Jag so should be fine with that, not sure if I can utilise the onboard functions or if I would just have to use what comes with the dish part though

Neil I had a snipe on my last two vans and they worked ok but when I bought my new van I got the dealer too throw in a satalite and avtex tv in on the deal. He fitted the maxi view cube 2 it roof mounts with two outputs I’ve been using it for nearly two years and the thing is amazing for the size I’ve been under trees and in some really awkward places it still gets a signal was in Normandy last year and it still picked up all the freesat channels think it works great with the avtex tv as it has satellite tuner built in. I’ve been parked next too vans with the big 80 cm dishes that they couldent put up because of a little bit of wind think the snipe is prone to going down if it gets too windy as well. I’ve now got two TVs running of it now one in the lounge and one in the master bedroom ?

Thats great Wully, sort of info I was hoping for, my Cello has Sat receiver built in as well so I can connect straight to the tv so long as whatever system allows that of course. Do you know if the VuQube is as handy when not permanent fixed as I was thinking if I get one, not to fix before summer (warmer hopefully)?

I am fairly sure the snipe would fit where the aerial is now although maybe sideways on and still clear solar panels, a dome I may have to put in front of the big Hieki although that isn't a problem space wise I dont think its not as easy for cables.

It is actually the Snipe 2 that is of more interest to me I think OB some write ups on the Snipe 3 are listing gearing/parking problems. Did you just place it on the roof when you wanted to use it or on the ground/bike rack whatever? Thinking if I go this route that I would use it as a portable rather than fixed at least to start with
Just place it on the ground. Once put it on the roof when my location was surrounded by thick high edges.

I think they’ve just stuck mine on with sicoflx the footprint is pretty small copaired too some I’ve seen even smaller tha the snipe because of shape as you can see it’s stuck behind ac and awning and it works fine.

F20ED6E8-7A9E-46BF-AD4B-3FFFCD1CBAC5.jpeg

Is your a Snipe 1, 2 or 3 Eric or is it one of their dome systems? Its the flat panel 2 I am leaning towards as I said in other post, can get a brand new one for just under £600 if I can find a second hand one anywhere but depending what they go for new may be a better option anyway.
Its the flat panel type Neil, but it has two LNBs and my Avtex tv has two inputs so I could record one program while watching another If I wanted but I am not that organised.

Niel, I've got a free standing satellite set complete with tripod that I bought a few years ago and never had the patience to use, so if you, or anyone else for that matter, can give it a home, I'll swap it for a bottle of red !!

Niel, I've got a free standing satellite set complete with tripod that I bought a few years ago and never had the patience to use, so if you, or anyone else for that matter, can give it a home, I'll swap it for a bottle of red !!
Hi Peter, I have one of those myself but apart from a really fuzzy pic in the yard when I tested it I have never been able to get a picture with it. I know lots of folks use these and my Maplins sale item is probably faulty but when I was trying I decided it wasn't for me, thanks for the offer though but I was getting wound up too quickly with it :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back