Waeco compressor fridge problem.

My panels are the rigid (under glass) type. Suppliers don’t like to state what you need so you can’t go back to them if it’s wrong. Power is very much specific to you though, and everyone is different. if you are driving around in the van you are charging the battery anyway.

If this is the fridge you are looking at 50 litre fridge it says it uses 1.4ah at 25 degrees ambient. Multiply that by 24 hours and I would work on it using 33.6 amps per day.

as you are okay at present i would start by adding a second battery then seeing if you need to add solar or not. It will all depend how long you are away, if you start off with battery’s fully charged (24+ hours on hook up) then topping up driving around you may last out. two battery’s are better than one big battery (lithium may be the exception) as they will recharge quicker and the discharge is split between them.

it all depends if it suits you to make a change then evaluate or if you need to be certain you have it done in one go.

Thanks for that info, I've learned a little as to how to work out power usage. I know it is pretty basic but I have always avoided all things electrical since I got a bad electric shock many years ago, things have to be "plug in and go" for me now:) . It seems the solar panels, MPPT controller and batteries are straight forward enough for even a duffer like me to connect up.
So yes I think I will get another battery first and see how it goes, my camper is also my everyday vehicle ( I would never go back to running a car) so the battery does get a regular charge up and a lot of the time the fridge isn't switched on.
Thanks again, very helpful.

I have a Waeco compressor fridge that won't switch off, well It does switch off for about half a second when it reaches the set temperature but it immediately switches back on again and it keeps switching off and on continuously. Can anyone tell me what the problem is and if it can be fixed ?
Thanks .

We had the same problem with are Waeco fridge turns out it was lack of power in the leisure battery , the thermostat led was flashing red rather than a still green

I too have a T4 van. If you are not sure whether your style of use would require permanently fitting solar panels to the roof you might like to consider using a free standing panel. I use one (in addition to a small panel mounted on the rising roof). To connect the free standing panel I have taken the wiring to the rear nearside dummy fog light. There is sufficient room behind this dummy light to store a plug and short length of wire. The dummy light is easily removed with a key or screwdriver as it only clips in, the cable and plug can be removed and the free standing panel plugged in. I have used this method successfully for many years. It is particularly useful when parking the van in shade to keep it cool when the roof panel becomes less useful.

We had the same problem with are Waeco fridge turns out it was lack of power in the leisure battery , the thermostat led was flashing red rather than a still green
I have only noticed the steady green light but I will have al look more frequently as the fridge is working to see if the light starts to flash red . My battery "seeeeems" to be well charged and showing 12.9v when I check it on my smart charger.

I too have a T4 van. If you are not sure whether your style of use would require permanently fitting solar panels to the roof you might like to consider using a free standing panel. I use one (in addition to a small panel mounted on the rising roof). To connect the free standing panel I have taken the wiring to the rear nearside dummy fog light. There is sufficient room behind this dummy light to store a plug and short length of wire. The dummy light is easily removed with a key or screwdriver as it only clips in, the cable and plug can be removed and the free standing panel plugged in. I have used this method successfully for many years. It is particularly useful when parking the van in shade to keep it cool when the roof panel becomes less useful.

Your suggestion of a free standing panel could be another consideration. I don't have a pop up roof so If I fit a roof panel it wouldn't be as efficient if left flat ( especially in winter months) so a free standing panel could be used in addition, I hadn't thought of that. I have a lot to consider and my lack of knowledge is bogging me down a little , although I am learning a lot from the replies on here.

If there is a fault, it’s a very small red light, difficult to spot unless Yr looking..
we had a 120 fitted and another gel battery by Neil Hempson.. great guy..
I had a good look for the red light in my Waeco fridge. I agree it's not easy to see it. I checked it many times over a day and the red light wasn't coming on.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back