Wake up and smell the coffee.

Bruce h

Free Member

Can anyone give me the make and model of a small nespresso coffee machine that will work on the output from an inverter? I have a new inverter and two 100ah l,ion batteries but the Krups machine I have will not work on the sine wave output. The wattage is fine.

I have just purchased one of these
for Christina and she is well impressed with the results. Another good thing is the coffee is compressed against the filter paper making it mess free when disposing of the ground coffee.

I’ll second Scotia I too have an Aero press easy to use and clean and I also have one of these for one coffee cup

399C8795-EFB9-451F-90D2-BA3F7E49959D.jpeg

Thanks for the suggestion but I tried the small portable gadgets but not massively impressed.

The old machines worked very well. My magimix was about 10 years old but since the smaller ones that have the programmable water amounts came in they don’t work on non pure sine wave

The old machines worked very well. My magimix was about 10 years old but since the smaller ones that have the programmable water amounts came in they don’t work on non pure sine wave

Looks like it's a good ole cuppa tea then :)

Like @Scotia, we have an Aeropress -- and it makes a superb cup of black coffee. However, it's not espresso (although there are some tricks I've not tried that allegedly get espresso out of an Aeropress).

For a proper espresso, I've got a "Staresso" SP200 manual espresso maker (an eye-watering £50 from Amazon, but worth it if you can't stand instant coffee!) The one I've got only makes a single shot at a time, but they now do a "Mirage" that does two shots. Here's a link to the Staresso website.

That said, someone on either this or the WC forum suggested Bellman stovetop espresso makers. These also have a steam wand -- so you can make a proper cappuccino, flat white, etc. The CX-25P has a pressure gauge while the less expensive CX-25 does not. That said, both of those Bellman machines have eye-watering price tags well over £100 and I couldn't find a UK supplier when I just did a quick search. However, here's a link to a supplier that has a 'waiting list'. HTH, Geoff

A hint, I suppose it has to be called a hack nowadays, when using the Aeropress, is to use it inverted. That is with the plunger in the cylinder and on the work surface , coffee in, stir and let brew. Then put the filter on, and CAREFULLY invert it onto the cup, then press the plunger in the normal way.
The brew then doesn’t seep past the filter, until you’re ready for it to. I’m getting a more mellow cupthat way.
Please take notice of CAREFULLY.

Lovely people whilst I am enthralled by the virtues of the aeropress, I just want sump oil espresso and I need to know which machine will run on my inverter. Someone must use one...

Lovely people whilst I am enthralled by the virtues of the aeropress, I just want sump oil espresso and I need to know which machine will run on my inverter. Someone must use one...
FWIW, the Krups machines I found all seem to be 1260W, which will require about 110A from your batteries allowing a little for conversion losses, which seems a sizeable hit even for 200Ah of Li. YMMV, but that seemed a little excessive for me, which is why I suggested some manual alternatives that will deliver a good espresso without stressing your electrics. That said, your OP said that your Krups machine wouldn't work with the sine-wave output of your inverter. Since mains electricity is sine-wave, I suspect you either don't have a pure sine-wave inverter or its capacity isn't enough.

the output is 2700 watt. So more than capable of running a small coffee machine.
I would imagine your coffee machine will require around 1500 watts to work, as will any other machine, and as your inverter output is 2700w, it should work ok in theory. I can only think your inverter is faulty or it’s output is less than it states.
Have you tried running any other high wattage appliance on the inverter? Try boiling a kettle or running something that requires a similar wattage to your coffee machine to see if that works before you buy another coffee maker.
Or, buy a stovetop coffee maker. You can get sump oil quality coffee out of one of those. We do!

I missed that it's a 2700W inverter. Consider how much current is required for that at 12V. 2700/12 = 225A. If the input cabling isn't up to that then you'll get a hot input cable with reduced input and output voltages. That is, it's not going to work!

Input cables are integral to the inverter and are17mm diameter. It will boil a kettle with ease and power an iron. It has to be the conflict with the coffee machine and the Inverter output.

Input cables are integral to the inverter and are17mm diameter. It will boil a kettle with ease and power an iron. It has to be the conflict with the coffee machine and the Inverter output.
FWIW, I suspect the Krups machine has a low voltage cut-out and maybe your kettle and iron don't. That said, if those 17mm dia cables are connected directly to your battery +ve and -ve and the cables connecting the batteries together are of similar size (or at least a conductor of 120sq mm / 12.5mm dia) then you are probably correct. However, inadequate sized cable anywhere in the 12v circuit to/from the inverter will probably hamstring it.

This is the magimix Nespresso machine that I had. Worked great, never had an issue as it has no electronics just on or off. I tried two of the newer machines in the Moho and neither worked

Attachments

• 4404818B-95FC-4E1A-BAE9-13F96978CFE6.png
    4404818B-95FC-4E1A-BAE9-13F96978CFE6.png
    371.4 KB · Views: 14
Can anyone give me the make and model of a small nespresso coffee machine that will work on the output from an inverter? I have a new inverter and two 100ah l,ion batteries but the Krups machine I have will not work on the sine wave output. The wattage is fine.
I had a similar problem, after installing an inverter 2kW to mainly work my tassimo machine but it wouldn’t work, I then decided to upgrade my machine to a nespresso en550 highly recommended by Geeky Phil but this too didn’t work however other things did work with higher wattages ! A bit of googling on the internet found many people with same issue. The problem was my inverter was a “modified sine wave” so I bit the bullet and bought the equivalent 2kW “Pure sine wave” inverter and everything worked fine ie, both the Tassimo and nespresso coffee machines. Maybe your inverter isn’t a Pure sine wave?
Good luck Cheers Dave

You could do worse than one of these...
I enjoy a cup each morning, two heaped spoonfulls of your favourite ground coffee, add boiling water to the level you want. Give it a good stir. Let it settle a minute or two, give it another stir then put filter into cup... all typical cafetierre stuff, but now just press plunger down and drink it direct. Even comes with a lid and stays hot for ages.
Gets my vote as fuss free and easy on the batteries
K ;)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back