Wanted 16” Alloy wheels for 2012 Ducato

SimonM

As above, I think I want to change from 15” steels and go for alloys for a bit of bling-ness.

I’d like any recommendations what to get and/or where to go, or are there any for sale?

As I always want to carry a spare then additionally either 5 alloys or a bare steel 16”.

Then I’ll keep the 15” on camper tyres, and use the 16” with 4 season tyres interchanged dependant on time of year and where I’m going as all 5 of my 15s are low miles, but not 4 season

You are far, far better sticking with steel wheels, paint them black and buy some decent wheel trims........... The advantage is that you will be saving an absolute fortune!

Thanks, I appreciate exactly what you say, but there’s also a difference between ‘need’ and ‘want’ and this way I’ll have 2 sets to choose from. I painted them black last year.

Fleabay , gumtree or passbook several there complete with tyres.

I have tried to see if I can find the seller, but no luck. I got my Alloys on eBay and found the seller very helpful. I chose to get 15" wheels but he had 16", all load rated and included all new wheel nuts plus a locking wheel kit.
I wish I could give you the guys name :(

I decided to go for Alloys instead of keeping the steels for precisely the reason you are looking :)
I got Michelin Cross-Climates fitted to the new wheels as had no intention of keeping two sets (been there in the past and found the second sets just ended up stored doing nothing, especially with the advent of tyres like the Cross-Climates that are as good as any summer tyres in the summer or winter tyres in the winter).

EDIT: Found the seller (on my other eBay account) .... https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/wheelsdirect
This is the style I got (but went for the 15" version) and still think it looks very smart :) - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133683044197?hash=item1f20215f65:g:ycgAAOSwNqxcM2j~

Last edited:
Thanks, someone else understands me, toys need to be prettified 😉. I also found the eBay seller and thought to myself - my family live not too far from Helston so it could be worth combining a trip down there. I always want to touch and feel something expensive I want to buy if possible.

Thanks, I appreciate exactly what you say, but there’s also a difference between ‘need’ and ‘want’ and this way I’ll have 2 sets to choose from. I painted them black last year.
Then get yourself a far less expensive 2nd hand set of steel wheels, furthermore the tyres will cost you less as well, so it would be a win-win

Don’t you also need to change something on the gearbox to alter the speedometer because 16’s will mean the van travels faster than the 15’s.

Don’t you also need to change something on the gearbox to alter the speedometer because 16’s will mean the van travels faster than the 15’s.
I read on another Forum that that several owners who had switched from 15 to 16 inch wheels reported that the speedo had become more accurate (or less inaccurate?)

Steve

I read on another Forum that that several owners who had switched from 15 to 16 inch wheels reported that the speedo had become more accurate (or less inaccurate?)

Steve
It is not the wheels, it is the full package - wheels + tyres that is important. Get the wrong profile tyres and you can screw the speedo accuracy without changing the wheel size :) There are numerous on-line calculators to tell you what tyre size is needed when changing wheel size.
I stayed with 15" tyres due to the poor quality roads. More sidewall = less wheel damage (and a better ride).

I had 16" and 17" wheels on my VW T5 Transporter (not at the same time of course ;) ) and speedo was unaffected.
On the flip side, I had identical tyre sizes on identical sets of wheels on my RAV4 - Bridgestones for summer; Continentals for winter - Contis made the speedo spot on; Bridgestones made the speedo overread by 3% (checked on GPS)
Something that can be done as well .... on my VW T4 Transporter and my VW LT, both vans were undergeared, and I fitted 'oversized' tyres deliberately so the engine would be lower revving when 'motorway cruising' - dropped around 400RPM on the T4 and a much more pleasant drive.

Steve
i changed for 15 in to 16in and use 225 x 65 x 16in and found the speedo to be the same but i could not get thats size in bf goodrich so i got 225 x 75 x 16in now my speedo at 30 is spot on but at 70 on the speedo i am really doing 74 mph ive lived with it for the last 4 years no probs.The offset on the alloys gave me a 3in wider track as well.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back