Was our 740 mile round trip worth it?

tonybvi

Yes, absolutely!!
We set off last week from Strachan near Aberdeen to go to SAP at Adwick near Doncaster to have E & P levelling fitted by Mick and his team, following excellent reviews about them.
We travelled via the Cairn o’Mount road (our house is on this road), A90 etc, Edinburgh via Queensferry Crossing, and on to an overnight at a superb farm shop at Belford (great full English breakfast!). Then Tyne Tunnel and A19 to Adwick.
Overnight at SAP (great facilities for motorhomers). Then we left the van there for a couple of nights while we went off to a hotel in York. And how beautiful is York at this time of year with some great pubs, wine bars and French restaurants! Back to SAP where the team gave a really good walk through of the work they had done to an exceedingly high standard.
Back home via A1, A66, M6, M74 to stopover near Moffat then on up Devils Beef Tub Road to Edinburgh and home.
A long trip but what a great job SAP carried out. We have installers closer to us (Turriff Caravans, Roseisle Motorhomes) who may have done equally good jobs but we chose SAP based on the reviews they get and we have no regrets.
I highly recommend them.
Tony

Yes, absolutely!!
We set off last week from Strachan near Aberdeen to go to SAP at Adwick near Doncaster to have E & P levelling fitted by Mick and his team, following excellent reviews about them.
We travelled via the Cairn o’Mount road (our house is on this road), A90 etc, Edinburgh via Queensferry Crossing, and on to an overnight at a superb farm shop at Belford (great full English breakfast!). Then Tyne Tunnel and A19 to Adwick.
Overnight at SAP (great facilities for motorhomers). Then we left the van there for a couple of nights while we went off to a hotel in York. And how beautiful is York at this time of year with some great pubs, wine bars and French restaurants! Back to SAP where the team gave a really good walk through of the work they had done to an exceedingly high standard.
Back home via A1, A66, M6, M74 to stopover near Moffat then on up Devils Beef Tub Road to Edinburgh and home.
A long trip but what a great job SAP carried out. We have installers closer to us (Turriff Caravans, Roseisle Motorhomes) who may have done equally good jobs but we chose SAP based on the reviews they get and we have no regrets.
I highly recommend them.
Tony
thanks not far from us we will try, pj

Another vote for SAP here usually don’t like recommending people on the off chance they let you down but have had work done twice by SAP and would recommend them a100% ?

Crivvens, we often go 18 hours round trip for 1 day's motocross racing. Of course it was worth it.

Crivvens, we often go 18 hours round trip for 1 day's motocross racing. Of course it was worth it.
Did Le Castellet to Buxton in 17 and a half hours coming back from the Bol on the bike one year with a hangover. What a ride even ferry was just ready as I pulled in to Calaise. Bath was full of mud and grass when I managed to climb out of it ha ha

Edit: Opps you won’t know how far that is, just over a thousand miles :)

They are very good at fitting but now I wish I hadn’t because the weight is very high and they might need to come off on my next birthday along with the awning, spare wheel, extra hab batteries an virtually every extra on it, so I can drop it below 3500 again, might have to forget the wife as well and live off food from bought at the places. Stupid limit at 70 if you cannot play the medical game because of a history 30 years earlier . I will probably just sell it as it is and take the huge hit.

I up plated my Mli to 4250kg as even in it’s basic form it would have been impossible to run at 3500kg. I am fast approaching the dreaded 70 and am simply keeping my fingers crossed that I can hang on to my entitlement. If I lose it my wife is 1 year younger so she’ll be driving to enable us to hang on for a further year.
Although the levellers weigh a bit I have taken out my Milenco Quattro Ramps, which are quite heavy and take a fair bit of space, as well as my jack (and my spirit level!!).

Same for me if I lose the entitlement I lose the van and will not pay another fortune to get another. It is all down to an historic diagnosis which led to me losing my commercial pilots licence and career as well. Mine is at 4200 kilos at the moment and life is easy but when we got it I got a loaded weight of 3520kg with moderate load of food 20 kilos water, and fuel full with two of us in there. I added bits and pieces and the weight went to 3720 now without any thing in the back. dropping off all the extras, and removing the drop down bed and changing the HEAVY table leg rmoving the 2 extra hab batteries would bring the weight down BELOW the 3500 limit but dealing with BUREAUCRATS at the DVLC means empty weight below 3000kg before they will allow downplating to max 3500kg loaded. THE makers are terrible building these things and always quote the absolute basic van, even the gearbox weight more by 40klos than the manual one. The medical issue is always quoted by the GLOATERS as if you cannot pass the mediacl the you should not ber driving FULLSTOP. Paperwork rules the world. The EU made a ruling saying campervans should be medical free at 4500kg but the UK will not ratify it. Driving once a month is different to carrying 70 people in a bus for whatever they are allowd to drive per day full time. To prove my now fitness means all manner of tests and consultant recomendations, which will prove difficult and expensive as they all have an agenda to keep about previous diagnoses.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back