Waste Tank cleaning/smell

ActiveCampers

Whats the latest and greatest method for killing smells in the waste water tank?
Last vans seldom did but this new one has let off a standard waste smell whiff a few times when emptying :( 60L external waste

No smells in van (traps) only when emptying.

I've dropped in an entire bottle of bleach and think that was fine for the next empty or two, but was back when emptied last time.

Cheap coke/diet coke? Thetford/elsan waste tank cleaner?

Cant figure why this one smells more than the other vans...... (Maybe due to size - its 2.5-3x bigger than the others, more air in the tank to react?)

1/2 teaspoon of copper sulphate in a litre of water poured down your grey waste outlets after every empty and grey waste or tank never smells.

Another vote for cheap cola, and as has been said a drive with a fairly full tank gives it chance to clean all parts of the tank.

Do you have a vent in the tank? Perhaps it's a build up if the vent is blocked or missing?
I use cheap cola from Aldi/Lidl about 17p for 2 lit. Couple of bottles into an empty tank before a good run around... works for me anyway. Make sure you flush out with clean water if it is then going to stand a while
K ;)

There are 2-3 external vents on the tank.
The bleach has been on an almost empty tank, which may be the issue...
May try coke next time - full fat or diet?

Full tank vs empty tank for adding coke ???
My theory is the coke will be very diluted or you will need a lot of bottles for a full tank
I add two 2 litres bottles of coke into an empty tank and give it a good run so it sloshes around... the sloshing is an important part of the process.
All in my opinion, I dont suppose any Uni has done research on this (but I wouldn't bet on it)
K ;)

I certainly would no advocate the use of cola in the waste tank. The sugars/sweeteners will only FEED any bacterial waste stuck in the tank.
Either use a proprietary tank cleaner - full to the brim to get into every corner - and leave for 24 hrs, or use washing soda crystals, biological washing powder/liquid, etc. even a couple or three dishwasher cleaner liquid bottles poured in.

Bleach will kill bacteria that is there now, but it may not remove food or fat waste that is 'stuck' to the sides/top of the tank. You need a biodegradable cleaner for that.

But please - not cola, or anything with sugars or syrups in.

Good housekeeping is the key to preventing any bacterial smells occurring:-
1. Wipe all cooking/eating equipment with paper towels to remove food waste and fats, before washing up.
2. Empty the waste tank at every opportunity.
3. Fill and wash out the tank after every trip, using a proprietary cleaner.

I have never had an issue with waste tank smells, in over 15 years of motorhoming.

Last edited:
Walk away while it’s emptying and empty the WC. When you come back simply turn off the drain tap and get back in and drive away. The smell is temporary and I reckon the WC will blunt your smellivision for you. I’ve tried all sorts and they’re all temporary fixes and it’s not a if the smell lingers.

I use Camperlife Tank fresh. A bit expensive but does the job, 1 shot down each waste pipe after emptying and your tank smells of pine when you empty it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back