Water pump swift

Carrerasax

Water pump swift

Anyone any ideas why my water pump seems to activate for a second about every hour of its own accord. Nothing being used or going on in the van.
ar least sounds like pump, it could be something else I suppose!!!

Hi Carrerasax. If you have a pressurised system (possibly with a Shurflo pump) it is probably the system repressurising due to water loss. This could be either water loss from the system (a leak) or, more likely if you haven't noticed a leak, water bleeding back through the one way valve on the pump.
I hope this helps. In anycase, an expert will be along soon.

Colin ???

We had similar with the Whale pump in our Swift. The activations started every hour or so then recently started to get more frequent and I had the van apart looking for leaks. None found.
A few weeks ago we were out in the van following the Tour de France and noticed a smell like burning paper in the van. I discovered it was the pump that, although still working, was very hot, too hot to touch, so disconnected the wiring so it cooled down.
I took the pump apart when we got home, nothing untoward except the obvious signs in the electrics of overheating, but no signs of why, and it still worked.
Anyway, the upshot was, we got a new ( Shurflo) pump, fitted that and no more unexplained pump activations.
I would hazard a guess your pump is on the way out too.

Assuming there are no leaks - if you haven't got one in the system, fitting a small expansion tank will cure it. Water cooling in the pipes or general changes in temperature can cause enough pressure change to trigger the pump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming there are no leaks - if you haven't got one in the system, fitting a small expansion tank will cure it. Water cooling in the pipes or general changes in temperature can cause enough pressure change to trigger the pump.

Yes we have an expansion tank and an accumulator (ours is a clarifier though) and on hot the water stays constant until tank empty, the cold side will start spitting as tank gets low so the expansion tank definitely keeps pressure constant.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back