Water tank frost heater blanket left on.

TrevandJenny

I visited our MH today to find leisure batteries flat, zero voltage, after checking out all the possibilities that could cause this. I noticed that the water tank electric blanket switch was on. Hence the zero power.
I measured the batteries voltage, zero, then the SP output at batteries input with batteries isolated, zero.
I can only assume the switch being on drained all power, I wintered the MH late last year and must have knocked the switch situated near fresh water drain.
Will check out voltage in the morning to see if batteries are being charged via the solar panel,
I cannot understand why the solar panel was not showing any current being passed to batteries.
Could it be I have fried something in the charging circuit hence no voltage to batteries.

Last edited:
Might need more power to get them to accept charge than your solar can give now their totally flat.
Good thought thank you, let’s see what happens over a week then I will put a load on them, I have checked them this afternoon and they are reading 2.5 volts, some sun today though I would have thought a higher voltage, my guess is that they May have died, only time will tell.

If batteries at 0v for a while, chances are they are dead - or even if revived, would be unreliable.
Any charger, solar or whatever needs to see voltage before it works - so if batteries at 0v, solar charger would not even attempt to charge (may be exceptions to this if a basic controller, but a decent one would not try).
I'd be cautious trying to charge, as depending on your setup then running the engine may whack in too much current and fry something (my "pro" build had this issue, ended up with lots of smoke!).
2.5v is still dead - they may recover some voltage but be prepared to replace.

You can get thermostatic elements which may help in future.

After advice from the forum I’ve ordered a pair of Platinum AGMs as replacements, Thanks to all for your input.

Good thought thank you, let’s see what happens over a week then I will put a load on them, I have checked them this afternoon and they are reading 2.5 volts, some sun today though I would have thought a higher voltage, my guess is that they May have died, only time will tell.
Do you have a smart Charger ? they are pretty good at resurrecting discharged and sulphated batteries.

Do you have a smart Charger ? they are pretty good at resurrecting discharged and sulphated batteries.
Thanks for the thought, I do have a smart charger, I brought the batteries home over the weekend and put one on charge, the charger put up a charge error message at just under 5 volts, tried again and same error. Conclusion failed battery.
The second battery has faired better, its still on charge, at present shows 12.8 volts. Never the less I’ve ordered a pair of new ones to be delivered Tomorrow.

For the first hr or so dont use a smart charger, jump it with cables from a car/van running, then use the smart charger.
Thanks Trev had no idea of that, still no probs as intend to use the remaining one in my workshop, I fitted the old 80w solar panel on workshop roof last year that charges an old battery, I will pair this one to it, they will feed the garden lights.
Just checked the charge it’s hitting 13.8 / 14.00 volts, it seems the smart side of charger is in float mode, I think?
Have turned it off overnight, will give it a couple of hours in the morning then fit up to the solar
just had message the new batteries arriving in the morning..

Thanks Trev had no idea of that, still no probs as intend to use the remaining one in my workshop, I fitted the old 80w solar panel on workshop roof last year that charges an old battery, I will pair this one to it, they will feed the garden lights.
Just checked the charge it’s hitting 13.8 / 14.00 volts, it seems the smart side of charger is in float mode, I think?
Have turned it off overnight, will give it a couple of hours in the morning then fit up to the solar
just had message the new batteries arriving in the morning..
Lead carbon are much better than agm, a tad more expensive mind you, full charge should be 14.4v, float around 13.4 ish

I visited our MH today to find leisure batteries flat, zero voltage, after checking out all the possibilities that could cause this. I noticed that the water tank electric blanket switch was on. Hence the zero power.
I measured the batteries voltage, zero, then the SP output at batteries input with batteries isolated, zero.
I can only assume the switch being on drained all power, I wintered the MH late last year and must have knocked the switch situated near fresh water drain.
Will check out voltage in the morning to see if batteries are being charged via the solar panel,
I cannot understand why the solar panel was not showing any current being passed to batteries.
Could it be I have fried something in the charging circuit hence no voltage to batteries.
Remove battery and put on a slow charge for a few days, you may recover it this way. Don not fast charge ! .

Thanks for your opinions, I did use my smart charger, as not aware at the time of alternative methods, bottom line is one battery saved reads to 13.9 volts, the other will not charge above 5 volts. Good battery now hooked up to solar to feed into garden lights.

.New batteries delivered ready for first trip out in March.

Thanks for your opinions, I did use my smart charger, as not aware at the time of alternative methods, bottom line is one battery saved reads to 13.9 volts, the other will not charge above 5 volts. Good battery now hooked up to solar to feed into garden lights.

.New batteries delivered ready for first trip out in March.
Jump the other from a car for ten mins to disulfate the plates and get above 11v, if luck it may well charge on the smart unit.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back