We get the blame yet again...

GeoffL

Just seen on the news, "A38 partially blocked by camper van accident at Trago Mills, Liskeard". Here's a link to Google Maps Streetview of the location. Investigation reveals that a car driver unlawfully pulled out onto the main road right in front of a motorhome. I suspect it was an impatient car driver who absolutely couldn't encountenance being 'stuck' behind a motorhome even though the speed limit is 50mph and even my old bus has no problems keeping up with traffic! Clicky link to Cornwall Live report.

So, once again, it's somebody else's fault but we implicitly get the blame; just like someone sees a motorhome parked up and we get blamed for all the rubbish cars leave behind.... :mad:

Are we talking about the same incident?
a large camper van is blocking the road. Is this not true?

Still don’t understand the ‘blame’ tag. If it was tractor blocking the road I doubt they would say a Motorhome

Still don’t understand the ‘blame’ tag. If it was tractor blocking the road I doubt they would say a Motorhome
If vehicle 'A' causes an accident by crossing give-way markings and pulling out in front of vehicle 'B' that has right of way, vehicle 'A' is the guilty party. In this case it seems that vehicle 'A' was a car and vehicle 'B' was a motorhome. However, the Cornish Live article was headed, "Queuing traffic after camper van crash on the A38 near Liskeard Trago" and the first paragraph of the body text was, "The A38 near Trago Mills in Liskeard is partially blocked and traffic is queuing due a crash involving a "large camper van" this morning." After a couple of paragraphs, it continues, "An alert from the traffic service said: "A38 partially blocked, queueing traffic due to accident, a large camper van involved near Trago Liskeard." No mention of the car and emphasis solely on the 'camper van'.

If the article was fairly written, it should have said something like, "Queuing traffic after crash on A38 near Liskeard Trago". However, there is no mention of car and the only vehicle claimed to be involved is "a large camper van". As is typical with the media, information that puts the story into context is omitted or positioned so far down the story that most won't read it. In this case, only the 'camper van' was mentioned, leaving the reader to infer that the motorhome was at fault.

Hi all. I also don’t understand. The blame. ...... If it was the other way round Moho pulls out in front of car. Causes crash. Moho moveable so moves to the side. Car badly smashed blocking the rd. what does report say. Car blocking the rd. or Moho not blocking rd but rd is blocked .......... all they have done is stated the truth. Moho in accident blocking rd .........

... an accident where both vehicles were obstructing the road.

FWIW, IMO this is the same standard of reporting as when the local media reported, "Police seize car breaking lockdown rules". The headline was truthful in that the police seized the car and also in that the driver was breaking the lockdown rules at the time. So, why did the police seize the car?

Least Ways they never said he turned his grey water going in the road spread litter all over the place and emptied his cassette in the toilets which are very nr to the junction. But I'd not be surprised if he'd stopped there much longer for it to have been reported :LOL:

I can just see it when it gets to court...
Judge: yes yes I know there was an accident but are YOU admitting to being a Campervan Driver!!!???
Motorhomer: yes M'lud
Judge: good grief!!! Right then, 30 days solitary confinement for you m'lad!
Motorhomer: thankyou and sorry...

All as reported in the daily blah, so it must be true
K 🙄

He’s lucky only 30 days and he admitted being camper driver. That’s a hanging offence. Oh that’s right they don’t hang anymore

Least Ways they never said he turned his grey water going in the road spread litter all over the place and emptied his cassette in the toilets which are very nr to the junction. But I'd not be surprised if he'd stopped there much longer for it to have been reported :LOL:
What do you think caused the accident in the first place? Bet he was following a Moho that had SOG fitted with spout facing down, thus siphoning contents. Following van touched brakes and went into a spin...

😂😂😂😂

I can just see it when it gets to court...
Judge: yes yes I know there was an accident but are YOU admitting to being a Campervan Driver!!!???
Motorhomer: yes M'lud
Judge: good grief!!! Right then, 30 days solitary confinement for you m'lad!
Motorhomer: thankyou and sorry...

All as reported in the daily blah, so it must be true
K 🙄
The thing about the Daily Blah et al. is that they typically tell the truth (unlike your scenario) but are very selective on how much of the truth and what bits they tell. For example, I recently saw an article in the Scottish press about the NC500 that truthfully mentioned problems with litter, human excrement, etc., and noted that motorhomers had stopped overnight nearby. They truthfully mentioned that promotion of the NC500 had led to an increase in the number of motorhomes and included a photo of two motorhomes on a single track road. Nowhere did they mention the increase in tent campers (who, I suspect, were the real source of litter, excrement, etc.) or cars. I suspect that the media concerned have an anti-motorhome agenda and wrote so that readers would associate the problems with motorhomes and (wrongly) infer motorhomers were responsible.

I gave another example in my previous post regarding seizure of a car. FWIW, the police seized the vehicle because it was being driven unlicenced and uninsured. However, the article didn't mention that, leaving readers to wrongly infer the police seized it because the driver broke lockdown rules.

Seems we are the popular target at the moment to grab by lines.....Pity the press arn't impartial but i can't see that happening anytime soon.......I wonder if the newspaper magnets are also camp site owners? :giggle:

Seems we are the popular target at the moment to grab by lines.....Pity the press arn't impartial but i can't see that happening anytime soon.......I wonder if the newspaper magnets are also camp site owners? :giggle:
Yes there is probably a mutual attraction

I have been arguing our case on the Facebook page NC500 THE LAND WEEPS. The comments I receive are vociferous, even from the Admin team. Polite doesn't work. Be aware of the strong feelings if you travel to the north of Scotland. It is not just about wild camping now. I don't know if there have been any incidents yet, but we have chosen to stay south of Inverness.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back