Wee car jolly down to Eyemouth today.

Nice day to visit Eyemouth area today Terry. Looks like your boat had an interesting trip today! I assume it’s servicing wind farms.

View attachment 69157
This is a bizarre one Tony, see link. https://www.northumberlandgazette.c...arm-operations-base-officially-opened-4000786

The NnG OSWF is North East of the May Isle, article states OSWF is 15.5 kms off the Fife Coast, Eyemouth base must be at least three times the distance. I would have thought Dundee or Anstruther a more economical option for a base? However, I’m delighted for the Eyemouth community their town was selected for the base, perhaps EDF has preference for south east coast due to their Torness station a few mile up the road?

And yes, was a braw day for a jolly around Berwickshire area, very enjoyable.

We’re off to Preston tomorrow in the van to clear out Sue’s dads house as he’s in a care home now. We plan on getting their Tuesday (!) so your post has made me think that a wee diversion to St Abbs en route after Penicuik May be the way to go!!!

After lunch in The Contented Sole Pub, and I highly recommend the food and ales, we headed over to Coldingham Bay, once parked up, headed up to what use to be the Haven Hotel, to pick up the cliff walk over to St Abbs. The Haven Hotel was one off our Apres Dive watering holes after diving around St Abbs. The Haven closed for a long time, then converted into private residential homes. A lovely spot over looking Coldingham Bay. At the Haven you walk down a few steps to pick up cliff path, I then spotted these new information plaques, which gave out information of the History of The Haven, see images. Then into St Abbs for a wander around the harbour. Then a coffee and scone at Ebbs Carr cafe. Sitting outside overlooking a flat calm North Sea, it was the perfect Vista!!
IMG_5047.jpegIMG_5048.jpegIMG_5049.jpegIMG_5053.jpeg

Last edited:
We’re off to Preston tomorrow in the van to clear out Sue’s dads house as he’s in a care home now. We plan on getting there Tuesday (!) so your post has made me think that a wee diversion to St Abbs en route after Penicuik May be the way to go!!!
If the weather is similar as todays, Tony, I don’t think both of you will be disappointed 👍

I assume you took a quick look at your donation box Terry?
I did Tony, and disappointed the stone work, basically large-ish rocks taken from shoreline at low tide were to be added to the large concrete base we laid down, the Edinburgh College Support St Abbs Lifeboat, is gone, no idea what happened to sign.

Lifeboat shop was closed, as I was interested to ask how successful our structure has been since installation, some other time perhaps.

Also, the area where donation box sits, has deteriated since installation, which was sad to see.

Plus side, it is still there, will take a bulldozer to remove from ground!!

This is a bizarre one Tony, see link. https://www.northumberlandgazette.c...arm-operations-base-officially-opened-4000786

The NnG OSWF is North East of the May Isle, article states OSWF is 15.5 kms off the Fife Coast, Eyemouth base must be at least three times the distance. I would have thought Dundee or Anstruther a more economical option for a base? However, I’m delighted for the Eyemouth community their town was selected for the base, perhaps EDF has preference for south east coast due to their Torness station a few mile up the road?

And yes, was a braw day for a jolly around Berwickshire area, very enjoyable.
My Grandson may be going out on that boat sometime soon Terry. He left Siemens Power Generation (was working on gas fired turbines) and is now in training to service and repair offshore wind turbines. He has just completed his survival courses and was told last week that he will be made up to Team Leader, not bad for a 23 year old. At present he is gaining product knowledge by checking new turbines in the factory and snagging any faults he comes across.

My Grandson may be going out on that boat sometime soon Terry. He left Siemens Power Generation (was working on gas fired turbines) and is now in training to service and repair offshore wind turbines. He has just completed his survival courses and was told last week that he will be made up to Team Leader, not bad for a 23 year old. At present he is gaining product knowledge by checking new turbines in the factory and snagging any faults he comes across.
This is brilliant news for your grandson, Jim, you will all be well chuffed with his new job prospects. This OSWF has a shelf life of 25 years min, and if your GS will be located at this farm, I would be looking at properties now for Eyemouth and surrounding area, I imagine house prices will increase.

When he gets his start Jim, see if he can arrange for me to have a wee Jolly on the support vessel, please :giggle:

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back