Weeping radiator

Vanterrier

I noticed the coolant level had dropped during our recent 2500mile tour of Scotland, it took about 1/2lit. To top up so I started looking and found a wee drip forming on the nearside bottom of the radiator. It doesn't appear to be running down from anywhere above the bottom plastic section below the matrix. I presume it will leak when up to temp and pressure but I didn't start the engine to find out.
I might try a radweld type solution to see if that helps and watch it.
Using red coolant
2010 3.0L Multijet 160 Ducato
K :(

Any product will carry a risk of blocking waterways outside the radiator, but I had good results for a couple of years with a Citroen using Forte Stopleak which is apparently good at not blocking other things. Ultimately it may be best to replace a leaking radiator.

This is a post that I made back in February. (#2580 in ‘what did you do to your Motorhome today’) what I didn’t mention was, that whilst it wept during use, it ceased when stopped. Loss of coolant was minimal.

Davy

“Following on from the service and timing belt change, my garage had spotted a steel water cooling pipe running from the oil cooler had pink residue on it (antifreeze) suggesting a leak. They had ordered in a replacement and fitted it for free today. It helps that the owner is a motorhomer. They say they have replaced a few of these pipes on Fiats. My van is a 2015 2.3L multijet. Perhaps worth a look next time you are lying under your van, (as you do). It is easy to spot.

www.ebay.co.uk

FOR FIAT DUCATO WATER HOSE PIPE 504157800 68133357AA | eBay

504157800, 68133357AA. DUCATO (250_, 290_): 120 Multijet 2,3 D 07.2006 -. DUCATO (250_, 290_): 130 Multijet 2,3 D 06.2011 -. DUCATO Panelvan/Van (250_, 290_): 120 Multijet 2,3 D 07.2006 -. DUCATO Panelvan/Van (250_, 290_): 120 Multijet 2,3 D 4x4 03.2010 -.
www.ebay.co.uk

This is the type and shape of the pipe. The leaks seem to be at the joint of the smaller pipe (not the very small one) on the left”

Thanks all. I will investigate further when I get her up on blocks. Hopefully it's that pipe (mine is a 3.0 Multijet 160) and not the radiator itself.
I realise the radweld is just temporary and I will need to fix or replace whatever is leaking soon.
I would not have enjoyed a full leak when at the very top of the Isle of Lewis recently:oops:
K ;)

Reactions: 2cv
As Bill stated this will also block galleries though out the engine best to replace the radiator.

Dont use barseal as it blocks the heater matrix, kseal ok.
AS others have said find the fault, seen many rads fall apart on removal, culprit is folks adding water to header tanks, always top up with coolant/antifreeze.

Took the nose trim off to have a better look but cannot get a good view really. The weep is from the very bottom of the near side, if I wipe it dry, its damp/wet in an hour. Will start engine and allow it to pressurize to see how bad it gets.
There doesn't appear to be any hoses or pipes anywhere near the damp patch.
K :(

• Sad
Reactions: 2cv
You could use an egg in an emergency, but don't i'm Joking!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back