weight checks

andrew h smith

Free Member

we are travelling t France and Spain for the first time . what are the chances of being stopped and our weight checked ? seems to never happen in uk but i am told more common in France /Spain , Also what happens if you are overweight ? is it a fine etc ?

Over five years of European travel I’ve never been stopped for any reason, certainly not for being overweight.
Your query begs the question. Why would you knowingly travel overweight?

If I was stopped, and found to be overweight, I’d drop my fresh water.
One litre =one kilo

About 15 years of trips to France and some to N. Spain. 2 trips of about 5-6 weeks each year usually moving every 3 days or so and not had an issue. However it is not uncommon to see several police cars and their crews standing on a stretch of road or near a roundabout. I assume they may be carrying out random checks, but what checks I do not know.

My plan if caught is to drop fresh water (up to 140kg), get one of the electric bikes out (about 22kg) and place the wife on it (weight undisclosed) and to fill a rucksack for her to wear together with items on the bikes over rear wheel carrier.

I reckon that should the best part of 250 kg or more, especially if I did the decent thing and rode the bike myself being just short of 15 stone, whatever that is in foreign weight.

Davy

I haven’t been abroad by vehicle for many years now so no idea how things are set up these days. I know on toll roads there always used to be gendarmes and they were automatically alerted of speeding by timings on the toll tickets. Does that still happen?

I was reading something recently where the weight check abroad was mentioned and a couple of reply’s were that there are weight checks built in on the autoroutes, presumably paid for sections otherwise they wouldn’t be manned but that’s my presumption. This was supposedly in France but no idea where. Is this a thing now in parts or is it another urban myth?

Sometimes in the summer holiday you do see vans on the most popular Routes Nationaux being flagged into roadside weighbridges, never bothered us but the long theoretically (optimistically) 3.5T vans, and caravans looking low on their springs seem to be most likely targets.
Also seen random hit squads targeting worn tyres especially in Norway again in summer.
We once got checked in Switzerland to see our paperwork to prove we were less than 3.5T.

These things are not common but there are occasional national purges.

we are travelling t France and Spain for the first time . what are the chances of being stopped and our weight checked ? is it a fine etc
Have been stopped but all was ok. But have driven past several check stations over the years. Personally I wouldn't leave home over weight You would be fined and not allowed to continue your journey until you corrected the weight

Last edited:
stuff the payload never known anyone in a m/h being stopped in years unless they have been gassed:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DSC01877.JPG

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back