Well that was fun , NOT

Deleted member 144

Walking up our hall way last week bare feet and found the carpet was wet Oh Oh I thought where's that come from, I discovered a radiator was leaking ,it had a pin hole in it , rusty I thought 35 year old that rad, so carpet up, wet through, , turned the rad off and left it for a day or 2 trying to get the inspiration to fix things ,Started Monday , removed the Rad I want the rad in a different place said my wife, of course you do Darling says I, So we striped the Wall paper of the wall, thank the gods for wallpaper steamers great kit, Papered and painted the new paper and the skirting board, Went to B n Q Weds and got a new Rad, 22mm and 15 mm copper tube 3mtrs two new valves £58 the lot B n Q no longer do the Diamond discount Wednesday now ONLY on garden stuff but it was still cheaper than Wicks, I had enough fittings from previous jobs so didn't need to buy those this time. So drain the system, floor boards up cut the old pipe work out , resite the new Rad and re plumb, just finished today , al tested and carpet back down, Second bleed of the Rads and all is well again, I have replaced all but 2 of our Rads now , as when we redecorated other rooms I changed the rads for new modern ones, I have 2 left to do now, neverI hope, as we want to downsize our home and spend some of the dosh, we were going to do that this year after we got back from Spain but the virus put paid to that but hey ho we will get round to it sometime, So that was a job I did not need but it looks good and fresher.

Screwfix is the United Kingdom's largest multi channel retailer of trade tools, accessories and hardware products. Founded in 1979 as the Woodscrew Supply Company, the company was acquired in July 1999 by Kingfisher plc, who also own B&Q, and is listed on the London Stock Exchange

Screwfix is the United Kingdom's largest multi channel retailer of trade tools, accessories and hardware products. Founded in 1979 as the Woodscrew Supply Company, the company was acquired in July 1999 by Kingfisher plc, who also own B&Q, and is listed on the London Stock Exchange

I know that. What's your point? Lol.

Unless things have changed recently, screwfix is much cheaper.

Last edited:
Well I thought £58 was cheap enough for what I got , and I like to shop where I can touch the items I am buying , Screwfix round here is like Argos search a catalogue and the storeperson goes and gets it, no thanks not for me, I will not use self service tills either miserable old sod me hee hee.

IMG_20200630_151120.jpg

Actually screwfix at the moment is order online and collect. We do find it is cheaper generally than b&q as aimed more at trade than b&q which are, as pointed out by op, same company. In the end, if you are happy with costs, that's what matters. Looks like a good job! Lucky carpet was ok, could have been damaged or discoloured!

Actually screwfix at the moment is order online and collect. We do find it is cheaper generally than b&q as aimed more at trade than b&q which are, as pointed out by op, same company. In the end, if you are happy with costs, that's what matters. Looks like a good job! Lucky carpet was ok, could have been damaged or discoloured!
No damage to carpet ,only wet, I drain all the water off each year when we go to Spain etc for winter , usually for 5 months so the water in the system is clean, and I only refilled the system in April this year, it happened when we were getting really hot weather here 31 dgs for 3 days so the carpet and underlay dried quickly, pain really as the hall is 26 feet long so a lot of carpet to drag outside in one piece but all done now, I was going to claim on the Insurance as I have accidental damage cover and emergency call out ,etc, but could not be bothered as I knew I could fix it all and my premiums would have probably gone up too . The carpet is a few years old too so probably would not be worth much in Insurance terms, although it is in great condition . I went to Screwfix in Romsey when we came home from Spain late March as the car battery had died as the car was left in my garden and I did not disconnect the battery, so I needed a battery charger as the one I had would not charge the battery , Screwfix was open then and I got a new battery charger but that did not help as the battery had had it, so had to buy a new battery too, cheap enough £55 from Asda tyre bay so all worked out OK in the end.Not been a good year for any of us has it.

Then if I remember right didn't the old screwfix management set up Tool Station

Remember when filling up the sys use about 25ltrs of car antifreeze ,stops rads rotting and protects in winter should boiler kick out when away for a few days,we tip never turn heating of but set living room stat at 21c and tank stat at 55c,yoyo heating <turning of and on> uses more oil or gas.
Never fit trv valves down stairs,upstairs only.

I always turn our heating off when away, even for a few days,just the pilot light left on .But not on long shutdowns Gas is turned off at the main then, I always drain the system completely when going on our longer trips generally in winter, I would rather come home to a cold house than deal with burst pipes, we have a large Wood burner in our home and that lights easily and comes up to heat very quickly , we are well insulated and have the cavities insulated too so all in all things go well but there is always a chance of the odd hick up, our Central heating is Gas fired but when the wood stove is going full bore the central heating rarely fires up , our system is very old , we have lived here for 35 years and it was in the property then, it should not work at all according to the gas experts who want to sell me a new boiler etc, it is a single pipe system .STEEL pipes except where I have changed to Copper when fitting new Rads in various rooms . we have a free standing floor boiler and a big insulated hot water tank,[ I know I know ] modern systems are more efficient and cheaper to run, yeah I know my neighbor had all his changed and gets no end of trouble with it , so I will stick with the old tried and tested system that works well and is Very cheap on gas bills.We only have Gas for the boiler , everything else is Electric and even that is cheap enough. I am also getting free Electric 2 days a month for a year, just had an E Mail from the Lecky company offering all sorts of stuff including a case of wine , but I went for the 2 days free electric the Wine was £74 , WHAT !!! I will drink the plonk I bought in Spain and Portugal me Hee Hee. Scottish and Southern electric Company fixed tariff,.for both gas and electric, I have never changed suppliers don't know what the tie up with Scotland is but hey ho that is what it is, :D:D:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember when filling up the sys use about 25ltrs of car antifreeze ,stops rads rotting and protects in winter
I was recommended to use a additive acts as lubricant, sealer, corrosion protector, and I thought what I used was also for frost protection but doesn't seem to be mentioned now

Then if I remember right didn't the old screwfix management set up Tool Station
As I recall, there was an issue with Screwfix and the local council who wouldn't let them expand their site, so they huffed off to another town.

There was also a major cockup with their e-commerce website at the time, I think.

Some staff decided to stay put (was it Uttoxeter?) and set up their own business, which was Toolstation.

Nowadays, Toolstation is a front for Wickes, just as Screwfix is a front for B&Q.

Neat job. I got a Worcester-Bosch combi fitted by a friend (qualified lol) a wee while ago. What a difference from the old one which kept developing faults -like a RR compared to an Anglia. 7 years parts and labour warranty, frost setting and a Bluetooth controller. I wanted a couple of double panels to replace singles and he told me to get them at Screwfix as they were giving free thermostatic valves with them. He used a pump thing on wheels to clean the heating system - what a black sludge came out. 3 litres of prohibitor poured in - what a difference - all the rads are much more efficient so really well pleased. Had been persevering with the old combi for ages and so glad we spent some money on the new one. Bob

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back