What 3 words

• Thread starter Deleted member 144
  • Start date

Deleted member 144

have you discovered this app? I was shown it last week and now have it on my phone, it is a free app , what it does is this, the whole world is divided up into 3 metre squares including the seas and oceans,open the app and the app has your location and shows a grid and three words that are unique to your square, you can see your square in street view or satellite view, you can then send this data via the app , or other medium to friends so the can see where you are, they can navigate to your square via the app too, the app has a search bar that you can type a place name into and it will show you your destination and give you 3 words for it, brilliant app I think and will get better as I learn to use it better.

It was posted in 2019 as well

It's getting plugged on Film4 at the moment.
Seems a great idea - I've contemplated using it to report potholes etc as often theres no houses etc to provide reference - even if you know the road name - which is unlikely in an area you are visiting.

We have used it to identify the main gate to our holiday park, since when Dave collapsed recently, the emergency services took the signal from the phone but couldn't find the entrance gate..delayed the ambulance for a good ten minutes. So the park management have now taken action as that delay could have been critical. Really useful for lots of things.

Happened to be reading this a few days ago

What is wrong with Lat and Long? What 3 Words uses different words for the same place in different languages, the relevant language database being downloaded with the app, so likely to be a problem when attempting to use it with friends resident in another (non-anglophone) country. Even assuming that European emergency services are using the system and can utilise the words from another language's database, you are then left trying to get them to understand three words in a language other than their own. As for feeding coordinates consisting of three words into my Garmin, it's not an option. Not something that I'll be rushing to use.

I think in an emergency, the coordinates can be hard for some to read and to read out. We also have the coordinates in the emergency card for the park, but many people fumble reading long strings of numbers when stressed. It's just a simple alternative.
In our case the replication of the phone confused the emergency services as it does not identify the road access to get to incident.

A friend had an accident on a country lane in Devon on New Years Eve and it was dark. An ambulance was called and when they could only give a rough idea where they were along the stretch of road the emergency service asked if they had W3W. They did and the ambulance arrived at the scene of the accident without difficulty.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back