What adhesive is advised to bond rigid solar panel corner mounts/cable gland to roof.

TrevandJenny

I have now obtained a 120w panel plus plastic corner and edge and cable gland fittings, Could those who have fitted one please advise what the adhesive used was and how its faired up to the job. I called Sikaflex but no positive answer, the nets full of answers but what to use. Sikaflex 522 or 252 comes up a lot in reviews.
Thanks in advance.

This is what I used still there after 8 yrs and 70K mls

Personally speaking I am one of those who wants a mechanical form of connection as well as a bonded one. My panels are not only stuck on with Stixall but they are also bolted.

I know there are countless thousands of people who have stuck their panels on, but even if there is the slightest chance that the bond could break, I for one don't want my enormous solar panels flying off down the road decapitating either a pedestrian or a following motorist!

There is an interesting and informative article about fitting solar panels on the aandncaravan website. It is the only printed article (with adhesive recommendations) that I have come across by a company, any other information always seems to be from diy fitting with a variety of adhesives. Well worth a read.

I should add that my panel was dealer fitted and is bolted/screwed as well as bonded.

Davy

Sikoflex 522
The secret of Sikoflex is to ALWAYS make sure it has a minimum thickness of about 3mm.
Without any thickness it has no strength. Do not try to squash it down, if you make it too thin, it will not cure or bond.
Use spacers to create the thickness, and remove before it fully cures. Once it has cured, any gaps can be filled if necessary. Allow at least 24 hours to cure fully and at that point it will be permanent and will not let you down.

Thanks for all advice given, Sikaflex won in the end, will fit over the weekend and advise any issues.

I used clear Stixall after cleaning the surface well on my self build in 2011, it's still on there with no mechanical fixings.

Weather update. After reading Millie Masters & Bartmans advice also the Sikaflex data application recommendations online and seeing a application temp guide of 15 to 25 degrees it seems that this weekends fitting is a non starter as temp going down to 7/9 degrees where we are. Hey ho, Bring back the sunny dayS

Weather update. After reading Millie Masters & Bartmans advice also the Sikaflex data application recommendations online and seeing a application temp guide of 15 to 25 degrees it seems that this weekends fitting is a non starter as temp going down to 7/9 degrees where we are. Hey ho, Bring back the sunny dayS
When you looked up sikaflex data. It would tell you the correct. Primmer activator to use with the said product

What is the roof made of?

I actually find that Stixall and no doubt Sika will stick in colder temps, however the bond would need to be accompanied by a mechanical fixing, so if your has a steel roof then if you very carefully drill a suitable sized hole and use a suitably short self tapping stainless coarse thread steel screw of a good make (i.e. not Chinese crap) and a lock washer, then with a spacer between to ensure a 2mm or 3mm gap and quite literally floods of the adhesive at room temperature, then the bond should be OK.

Dont stick to a painted roof as only a fine layer to hold on, GRP you could grind back a bit and stick, me I'm a bold through man.

Last edited:
For those of you considering just sticking anything to a Ducato Van roof, beware of the paint lifting problem on some vintages. It's no good having a bullet proof adhesion to paint that's not stuck to the underlying primer...
Hence my panel brackets are also bolted.
Just saying...
K ;)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back