What Diesel

Trotter

Do you treat your pride and joy to expensive fuel, or bang anything in. A refill a two ago, the only fuel available was the expensive stuff. I put half a tank of this in, just so I could get out of Portugal. To be honest, I think the van ran sweeter on it. It's back on regular now, and I think I can hear a difference.
I'll be interested in other peoples experience.
Confused and cold from Spain.

I tried a full tank once. Think it may have been 10% more economical and maybe more go, but could have been phsychological!!!
Have said I will use a tank now and again to look after my baby!!
Just dreaming of a TR6 one day that will get it all the time!!!???

I used to use an additive called "Diesel Rhino" on my VW T4.
When I can, I fill up at Costco - they only have one Diesel that is described as "Premium" and is meant to have the same kind of addtives as the Shell and Esso premium Diesels but at around 25p a litre or more less than those.

In my 'umble opinion for what it's worth, there is an international standard (I may of course be wrong---again!) and the likes of Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsbury's etc. do not have their own refineries-----------------------they buy it from the major companies. And like a previous thread on the WC site regarding utility suppliers, the stuff is the same despite claims to the contrary, they may charge 20p a litre more and you may feel better for it, but as long as your engine is of the suck, bang, blow variety the blessed stuff is the same

I think there is a minimum required standard which must be adhered to.
The basic fuel is the same, yes, and when the fuel is dispensed into the forecourt stores, it is at THAT point additives are added, which makes the fuel different at the point of sale.
I suspect if say Shell sold their premium diesel side by side with their ordinary diesel at an extra 15p or whatever and it was identical, it would be ever so slightly illegal, don't you think?

when you talk about utility suppliers, I guess you are referring to gas or electricity? If so, no one claims the product going into the house is different when you change supplier.

I was told to use only super unleaded in my turbo motorbike on the road, and MaxNOS 119octane when I was racing it - but then 500+hp deserved the best.

Back to the proper question, I was told that the refineries up near Liverpool any number of liveried fuel tankers going in would all go to one area to fill up, Tesco’s, Morrison’s, etc. Then the Shell’s and Esso’s and others would be served elsewhere.

I’ve always put supermarket fuel in my MH unless I need to refuel and don’t want to go looking for cheap. My fuel records don’t show any difference in consumption regardless of what I use.

Used to use 5 star in my V12 E Type, but chuck anything available in the van nowadays.
Might try some Ultimate or similar to see if it does make a difference, but I doubt it, it’s just an expensive motorhome built on a tradesman's van base, it should perform at its best on the cheapest fuel.

In my 'umble opinion for what it's worth, there is an international standard (I may of course be wrong---again!) and the likes of Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsbury's etc. do not have their own refineries-----------------------they buy it from the major companies. And like a previous thread on the WC site regarding utility suppliers, the stuff is the same despite claims to the contrary, they may charge 20p a litre more and you may feel better for it, but as long as your engine is of the suck, bang, blow variety the blessed stuff is the same
Your 'umble opinion is right. A pal of mine used to manage all the petroleum for one of those supermarkets and confirmed exactly the same thing.

Of course, if some folk are happy to go elsewhere and feel they detect and improvement, then that's fine too.

Think the super esso shell products must be superior but agree with views re branding if standard products
Can’t understand why U.K. doesn’t have the super cheap Black product available in Spain!!! STD diesel is yellow nozzle there if I recall correct.

When i worked in a garage the tanks were filled and a tea spoon of magic was added by the tanker drive when doing a dip test before filling,after a while they did not bother as there were no fuel police watching,i ask what the magic was and his reply was f- knows ecept tw-ts filling up pay more,anyway all fuel in n/ireland comes from the same tanks in the docks at belfast derry or warrenpoint.

I think there is a minimum required standard which must be adhered to.
The basic fuel is the same, yes, and when the fuel is dispensed into the forecourt stores, it is at THAT point additives are added, which makes the fuel different at the point of sale.
I suspect if say Shell sold their premium diesel side by side with their ordinary diesel at an extra 15p or whatever and it was identical, it would be ever so slightly illegal, don't you think?

when you talk about utility suppliers, I guess you are referring to gas or electricity? If so, no one claims the product going into the house is different when you change supplier.

Could be the next Audi like scenario!!!?

Having owned a petrol station, premium diesel is normal with an additive , you can do the same by buying an additive yourself , and the normal base is supplied from refinery in different tankers ( same some of the time ) for the different brands . The engines are designed to meet requirements , on the base standard .

When buying petrol, the ethanol content can adversely affect older vehicles, as well as reducing shelf life of the fuel. Some high ethanol petrol can last as little as 6 months before becoming unusable. Most Esso premium petrol contains no ethanol, not the case in Scotland unfortunately.

9D78FCFE-984D-4102-A9D0-100A99068A84.png

I used to use Tesco fuel, and my warning lights came on, so I added some Diesel magic and ran my engine a little harder for awhile. I cleared the lights and went back to Asda fuel, and since then (touch wood) no more warning lights. I have been told that Tesco fuel has a higher Ethanol content, but I wouldn't have a clue.

Standard supermarket/forecourt diesel for me...no issues thus far.

I figure that the MH is based on a truck and that certainly wouldn't get any special treatment so it must be fine to use standard stuff.

Graham
smile.gif

It’s impossible to get a definitive answer to wether premium diesel is worthwhile, but lots of interesting reading HERE

I use the more expensive Shell diesel in my VW car. It runs quieter and smoother and I can confirm I get at least 4 miles per gallon than supermarket fuel. I also want to keep the engine clean avoid deposits in valves and injectors. The mpg and cleaner running negates the extra cost. I find the same in my motorohome, smoother running and quieter but only about or 2 mpg better.

I'll give it another go with the better stuff on next fill. My lad only uses the better diesel in his car, saying he gets better MPG, he's a little anal that way. I thought Demi pulled better, sounded sweeter over the mountains. It deserves a treat now and again. It's looked after me, without any problems for over 50 days on this trip. Unlike the bl**dy weather. Heating on all last night. But that's another thread, init.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back