Inspired by @linkshouse's thread on what a certain fitting is for, I thought I'd ask the panel for suggestions as to what a hidden switch I've found might do. I have a 2001 Autotrail Scout on the Ducato chassis. The switch in question is a toggle switch fitted inside the storage bin under the centre of the dash. A red light on the dash illuminates when the switch is operated, but I can't find any other effect. I wonder whether the switch is a redundant immobiliser that lost its purpose when a Cobra 4138 Cat 1 system was fitted in 2014. I know that it currently has none of the following purposes (reason for ruling out each purpose in brackets):
- Immobiliser (the vehicle starts with the switch in either position);
- Link between leisure and cranking battery banks (with 13.6V at leisure battery and 12.5V at cranking battery, there is no change of voltage at either when switch operated);
- Connect solar charging system to cranking battery (the solar system has a "battery 1/battery 2" switch. With the solar system switched to battery 2, the charge controller shows "open circuit" no matter what position of the under-dash switch is in);
- Allow in-car entertainment system to be used without turning on ignition (radio doesn't work with ignition off and switch operated);
- Disable motion sensors of alarm system (alarm still goes off if activated while I'm still inside and switch has been operated).