what3words

Somewhere here

This 3 word address refers to an exact 3m x 3m location. Tap the link or enter the 3 words into the free what3words app to find it.
Tap again and you get another set of words. Not that you have moved, but the GPS location given by a phone ain't that reliable.

What is wrong with global co-ordinates? I go on google earth or on a gps, locate the spot I want, place the cursor on it and read the co-ords off the bottom of the screen. Could hardly be easier. That can get you within one metre in most places with domestic equipment. Where does one get the three words from anyway. Actually with Osmand+, click on the spot and up pop the co-ords. It could hardly be easier. Forget the degrees, minutes and seconds as some silly people are inclined to do, just set the instrument to decimal degrees. The only potential complication is knowing which side if the meridian one is on. To the west of greenwich it is minus and to the east it is plus.

If I verbally told you co-ords, and three words, which do you think you are likely to remember. Same question, over a dodgy radio or mobile signal, which are you more likely to hear?

If I verbally told you co-ords, and three words, which do you think you are likely to remember. Same question, over a dodgy radio or mobile signal, which are you more likely to hear?
But you can mishear words, rhyming words that sound similar but are different

Why do people want to reinvent the wheel?
On my outdour first aid course, I was advised that if the incident was off-road, I should dial 999, ask for police and ask them for Mountain Rescue. I could then quote a grid reference, and they would get to me faster (from a distance, we have no local mountains) than the local bobbies. How difficult is to to give an accurate grid reference? - just install one of a number of free grid reference apps to your phone (search your store for Grid Reference, select something free). When you open the app, it will display the grid reference of your location which you can quote to the Service.
In principle, the same as installing the What3words app, for which you still have to quote the words, but there is already an established robust system. What's the advantage? A 6-figure grid reference (to 100 m) is usually adequate, but you can give a 10 figure GR which locates a point to the nearest metre!
Have you bothered to download and try it, its simplicity is the key.

Mmm, Location Location Location Location

Location 1 "Proper Lat, Long Co-ords" (i prefer decimal to Deg Min secs).
But this is an artificial overlay as withh others..It is however universally accepted and a very very good system.
It (like all) has the problem in that the earth is spherical (or nearly so) and thus the regions bounded by Lat/long "boxes" and NOT square and this gets worse as you approach the poles...A big problem with early map-makers / projections

Location 2 Ordnance survey grid references...It should be remembered that the grid reference refers to the "bottom lefthand corner" of a "square"
Again not a true square. Only available in UK.
The size of the square being determined ( as has been posted) by the no of figures given.
Yes a very good overlay for use in UK...it should be noted that X-referencing with Lat Long is tricky as Grid North is not true north

Location 3 What 3 words..
Simply another overlay but with a consistent and small grid (again not perfect squares) but certainly universal as it is based on Lat/Long.
The idea a bit quirky but being not numerical as with the previous 2 it may be easier for those who get put off by numbers
Given emergency services use it I suggest it will soon be a front runner for some things
However on a brief look not good for tracing routes..or navigating TO camps
I doubt that TomTom or Garmin will enable it and indeed using typing 3 words on a satnav/smartphone seems a bit clumsy

Location 4
Yes I put this last as the geographical size of post codes varies so much.
It was invented by the Post Office to ease their sorting and delivery so I assume the location and size of each post-code is determined by delivery considerations such as housing density.
It has its uses but for mapping and route planning /tracing purposes it is of little use
But it has good use in finding places in UK as TomTom etc can use it

Not a case of re-inventing the wheel just adding pneumatic tyres to improve the comfort level

OTHER
Maps.me and other similar apps which give Lat and Long.
These can do the What3words job as can TomTom or any satnav device or app.
However it seems to me that what3words may be easiest of all for novice/emergency use
I like maps.me it as I can bookmark my camps etc for subsequent import into Google maps

And that you don't need to write it down

To add to my post #29
just different "overlays" or grid reference systems ( I also add Googl maps links)
I suggest that the Deg / Min /Secs notation for Lat Long is a bit like a 2 sentence system with sentence one being 3 numerical words ie deg min sec each word being 2 digits sentence 2 for longitude
In most cases no need for further accuracy.
The "what3words" grid system is accurate..Supposed .Inaccuracies such as "Moving location whilst stationary" are (I believe) caused by problems with the GPS sensor or the fact that although satellites should be or are geostationary they are not perfect.

PS a google maps reference such as https://goo.gl/maps/bfEYsPvvz88eNSH76 van in practice only be used by copying
So I disagree with the what3words detractors but agree that you cannot beat "Proper Lat/Long co-ordinates" but that is not easy for some.
Oral/aural communication of any reference point has is "chinese wispers" problem !
Perhaps the numeric Deg Min Sec system is easiest for this but I suggest that Decimal degrees is now probably the standard.
Each to their own...They all work !

To add to my post #29
just different "overlays" or grid reference systems ( I also add Googl maps links)
I suggest that the Deg / Min /Secs notation for Lat Long is a bit like a 2 sentence system with sentence one being 3 numerical words ie deg min sec each word being 2 digits sentence 2 for longitude
In most cases no need for further accuracy.
The "what3words" grid system is accurate..Supposed .Inaccuracies such as "Moving location whilst stationary" are (I believe) caused by problems with the GPS sensor or the fact that although satellites should be or are geostationary they are not perfect.

PS a google maps reference such as https://goo.gl/maps/bfEYsPvvz88eNSH76 van in practice only be used by copying
So I disagree with the what3words detractors but agree that you cannot beat "Proper Lat/Long co-ordinates" but that is not easy for some.
Oral/aural communication of any reference point has is "chinese wispers" problem !
Perhaps the numeric Deg Min Sec system is easiest for this but I suggest that Decimal degrees is now probably the standard.
Each to their own...They all work !
I find it amazing that something that is 20,000Kms above you can tell you where you are to an accurancy of 3 Metres. Quite incredible really :D

I find it amazing that something that is 20,000Kms above you can tell you where you are to an accuracy of 3 Metres. Quite incredible really :D
Actually, one thing some 20,000 km above you can't do that. It requires several satellites to provide an accurate position. Also, the fact that what3words employs a 3m grid does not mean that you can determine your position to within 3 metres. Positional accuracy depends upon many factors, and in particular how much clear sky you can see.
Ordnance Survey says: "
Positional accuracy with a single receiver, to civilian users approximately equals 5m to 10m, 95% of the time..." https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/bu...avigation-technology/gps-beginners-guide.html
Microlise says:
"A typical smartphone is usually accurate to within about five metres, or 16 feet, however a number of variables can reduce this.

The most common reasons for inaccuracy can now be attributed to buildings, other large man-made structures, trees and large objects which can block the line of sight between your device and the GPS satellites – as can being indoors or underground. Satellite signals can also bounce off of things like buildings.

Less common might be radio interference or jamming, major solar flare activity or temporary satellite manoeuvres creating coverage gaps."

Actually, one thing some 20,000 km above you can't do that. It requires several satellites to provide an accurate position. Also, the fact that what3words employs a 3m grid does not mean that you can determine your position to within 3 metres. Positional accuracy depends upon many factors, and in particular how much clear sky you can see.
Ordnance Survey says: "
Positional accuracy with a single receiver, to civilian users approximately equals 5m to 10m, 95% of the time..." https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/bu...avigation-technology/gps-beginners-guide.html
Microlise says:

"A typical smartphone is usually accurate to within about five metres, or 16 feet, however a number of variables can reduce this.

The most common reasons for inaccuracy can now be attributed to buildings, other large man-made structures, trees and large objects which can block the line of sight between your device and the GPS satellites – as can being indoors or underground. Satellite signals can also bounce off of things like buildings.

Less common might be radio interference or jamming, major solar flare activity or temporary satellite manoeuvres creating coverage gaps."

Yes it is the GPS measuring device and satellites that cause the lack of precision..
As I posted.."even when stationary the GPS moves my position" and I add maybe as much as 10 meters a time !

With most systems using "satellite view" illustrates this.
BUT this does not detract from the usefulness of using GPS.
As I posted I use it mainly to track my overnights using Maps.me
However using what3words could do a similar job by sharing GPS location to whatever your preferred system is

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back