Wheel Hanger

wildebus

This is an interesting idea to help refitting wheels on vehicles that used Wheel bolts rather then nuts...
https://amzn.to/2DohTn9

BLOXSPORT Forged 7075T6 Aluminum wheel hanger M12x1.5 1 piece wheel rim lug nut bolt stud guide instaltion alignment tool for older BMW Mercedes model

61MpSqcTzwL._SL1020_.jpg

618Evw%2BHl8L._SL1020_.jpg

It's a shame that the best priced one (including postage costs) for a piece of metal with a thread is £13, but I am thinking it may be worth it, especially when refitting dually wheels which are heavy buggers to get lined up.

Could be a opportunity for someone in the forum with the right tools and rods to knock a few up? :)

How would that differ from a long bar that just fits into the thead hole?

How would that differ from a long bar that just fits into the thead hole?
It wouldn't as that is just what it is :) except it is threaded to suit as well, of course, so it couldn't fall out on its own at an inopportune time and so the wheel drops off again

VW Passats have a plastic version as part of the tool kit, needless to say it is not very robust and break at the threaded section if your are clumsy.

Suzi sx4 /Fiat Sedici have one in tool kit metal with thread . quick look at a scrap yard ?

It wouldn't as that is just what it is :) except it is threaded to suit as well, of course, so it couldn't fall out on its own at an inopportune time and so the wheel drops off again
I've always used a bar. Put it in a hole, put the wheel on over it. Then once the wheel is on, it doesn't matter if the bar drops out, even if it happens before you get the first bolt in. The wheel stays in position because of the hub flange: the tricky bit is getting the bolt holes lined up.

I've always used a bar. Put it in a hole, put the wheel on over it. Then once the wheel is on, it doesn't matter if the bar drops out, even if it happens before you get the first bolt in. The wheel stays in position because of the hub flange: the tricky bit is getting the bolt holes lined up.
That's great for you.
But no, the whole point is to use it to line up the bolt holes, esepcially on a dual wheel setup. So having it fall out before that is done makes it pointless. And THAT is why these devices DO exist and why they are threaded. So you can keep the holes lined up until you get the first proper bolt in place.
IF it was to just specifically support the wheel, they would never be made out of plastic (like someone reported the VW Passat one is).

PS. I have never used one of these. I have also never used a bar either and have fitted literally (and I mean that literally) hundreds of wheels on vehicles.
But a Dually wheel is a PITA compared to normal single wheels, and in that situation I can see 1) a hanger being useful and 2) a bar that falls out during the process of getting two unsecured wheels lined up together worse than useless.

As you say, getting the wheels lined up is the tricky bit. Usually, I put the wheels on, then poke a cross-head screwdriver in to line the holes up precisely, but you need to be more or less in line to get the screwdriver in at all. That's where the bar makes things easier.
I guess that if you have a precise, screwed in bar, both steps are done for you at once.

The Sprinter and LTs are M14 x 1.5.
The Sevel vans - Relay, Boxer and Ducato - are the same I believe - M14 x 1.5

I guess one option could be to get an original wheel bolt and chop the end off?

Would be a good idea to use say 10 or 12mm hexagon bar mine came as just a slotted end I drilled a 5mm hole so as to use a screwdriver as a lever, one time although just srewd in with fingers I nearly had to resort to mole grips to remove it. I must remember to find it and put in the bag with my locking wheel nut spanner. When I bought it it was advertised as an aluminium one it came as a galvanised one.
Work a good price I might even buy another one.

Alf
Aye, good idea, hex head chopped off, then a piece of solid round bar tig welded on. I doubt we'll have M14, will have my techs have a look tomorrow, if I remember.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back