Where do you fit your fire extinguisher?

Vanterrier

I have seen some outfits with fire extinguishers mounted directly behind the driver or passenger at head height and I wonder what would happen to them in the event of a frontal impact? If they became missiles :oops:
Perhaps there are some strong mounting brackets about with secure fixings etc?
Mine is mounted on the floor behind the drivers seat... Accessible quickly from the kitchen, but on the floor so not ideal either.

Where do you have yours? How is it mounted/fixed? I could be persuaded to move mine.

K ;)

Having seen a van go up, I wouldn't bother as firstly, they go up so quick, it would be better and safer to just get out.
Secondly, I doubt I would want it repaired
Having used powder extinguishers on a boat fire, they certainly do make one hell of a mess!
I think the idea is more buying a bit of time to get anyone or any pets out safely!

Having seen a van go up, I wouldn't bother as firstly, they go up so quick, it would be better and safer to just get out.
Secondly, I doubt I would want it repaired
Having used powder extinguishers on a boat fire, they certainly do make one hell of a mess!
Same here, used one in car once. Virtually impossible to clean up properly, dust gets into switches, headlining, etc.
I'd think twice before using one again.
Saying that, I have 1 powder extinguisher, 1 powderless, which according to instructions can be used on all types of fire and 1 fire blanket.
Both extinguishers accessible from inside and out, fire blanket in cupboard by cooker.
Used the brackets supplied with extinguishers

Ours is situated behind the passenger seat on the wall and it’s fix with the brackets supplied with extinguishers where it’s easily accessible and it’s a foam one because the powder ones aren’t good for someone who has asthma and/ or heart trouble

I agree a small extinguisher would not put out a significant blaze and my priority would be to get everyone out of the van safely. However, if a small fire could be tackled early enough it could save a lot of drama.
So, having an extinguisher as I do, the question was where to best mount it to be quickly accessible without the risk of being clonked on the back of the head by it in a frontal collision. I like the idea of it being mounted in the sliding door entry and will look into that thanks.
The other question that has now arisen is what type of extinguisher to use?
Dry powder vs foam vs CO2 vs ???
K ?

Perhaps a fire fighter would give good advice ,

My brother is an ex firefighter and he told me that the foam ones are better than the powder ones we also have a fire blanket near the cooker so it’s also easily accessible as people have said safety is paramount because it takes such a short time,he told me it’s basically if you see a car or another motorhome with a slight fire but he also said get out and stay out for the simple reason gas bottles!

I'd say the gas bottles are a good reason to try to put the fire out early.
Yes, if you can't then put some distance between you and the blaze before the safety plugs release gas to feed the fire.

The reasons why so many are dry powder extinguishers are threefold.
1 They have a fantastic knock down rate ie they are very good at putting out fires
2 They are suitable for all types of fire
3 You get quite a bit of extinguisher in a small space
Problem with foam or any other liquid (ie water) based extinguisher is the risk (small but possible) of arcing on electrical fires, CO2 is best for electrical but poor on paper/cardboard and liquid fires. Also a liquid or CO2 extinguisher in that size wouldn't really do a great deal unless you've caught the fire in the very first few seconds.
I used to be a firefighter and fire training person......

I have used the bigger extinguishers at work a few times and agree about the cleaning up being a nightmare with powder. Best I have ever seen in use was the Halon systems we had on big loading shovels and drill rigs but the banned Halon where people can be, was used in some big server rooms as well. Killed fire by depleting oxygen almost instantly and no clearing up apart from ventilating then removing bodies of anyone who was in the area gulp!

Clicked post too soon grr.

My extinguisher in the van is in the bottom of the wardrobe out the way. I know where it is if I pass a car that’s starting burning under bonnet but can stay there apart from that.

I have a fire blanket at side of hab door immediately behind hob

Two powder bottles and a blanket, one bottle and the blanket in kitchen area. The other bottle in cab for ease of access while travelling. As a race marshal with fire training and fire fighting experience, I would recommend you try to get advice or training as there's more to fighting a fire than point and press .
Only advice if you're ever in that position would be,
First your safety, don't do it if you're not happy,
Second, as it says on the bottle (base of the fire) tackle the fuel not the flames. Smother the fuel.

To the comment of powder is messy, yes but not as messy as a totally destroyed van.
I know I've gone on a bit, but there's no point carrying an extinguisher if you're not prepared to use it, Any stay safe and fingers crossed you're never in that position

Sorry, in my last post I went on a bit and missed the topic of where to sight and how to mount.
The bracket it's supplied with should be adequate, and sight by your exit door .

Ours is an ex ambulance, so we left it sited where it was - on the front of the passenger seat mounting box. It is one of the conditions of our insurance policy that we carry a fire extinguisher.

Thanks for the prompt. I will review all our fire equipment today.

Ours is attached to a large wooden spoon in the kitchen.

It's her favourite :D

(we have two fire blankets. One at front of van, one at the back)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back