Where to go to celebrate a Wedding Anniversary in Central Scotland?

V1nny

Now we are both double vaccinated I am hoping to take my wife away for a nice meal at a good restaurant to celebrate our wedding anniversary in July.

I’m posting on both the Wild Camping and Motorhomes forums looking for suggestions of restaurants or pubs that do good food and offer the opportunity to park for the night in a nice location if we eat in their restaurant, preferably within an hour to an hour and a half drive from Linlithgow in West Lothian.

I know I can find pub stops on the POI’s, but in recent years it seems hard to find good restaurants serving decent meals, and what I’m really looking for are personal recommendations from people who have been to a pub or restaurant and enjoyed their experience.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Never tried it but I've heard b Craig's is meant to be good but it's just a spit from you

Never tried it but I've heard b Craig's is meant to be good but it's just a spit from you
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve never been either, but I think it’s just too close to home. I’d never get away with going that close to home for our anniversary

Good God.
You have to fund an excellent meal AND diesel and maybe a camp.
Just as well it only comes round once a year !

Good God.
You have to fund an excellent meal AND diesel and maybe a camp.
Just as well it only comes round once a year !
It might only be once a year, but this will be the 28th time it has come round!!

But that’s nothing, we have friends who got married a week after they first met each other, and this year they celebrated their 62nd wedding anniversary.

We don't eat out so can't recommend from personal experience. But there's a decent campsite in Melrose, which is a lovely town near where we live and I know friends have eaten at Marmions and enjoyed it. Also the Hoebridge is No 1 on Tripadvisor in Gattonside. Both are within easy walking distance. There are others as well.

We don't eat out so can't recommend from personal experience. But there's a decent campsite in Melrose, which is a lovely town near where we live and I know friends have eaten at Marmions and enjoyed it. Also the Hoebridge is No 1 on Tripadvisor in Gattonside. Both are within easy walking distance. There are others as well.
This is the sort of inspiration from local knowledge I’ve been looking for. I’ve never been to Melrose but I will definitely look into it and even if we don’t go for our anniversary, it’s close enough to go anytime if there’s space on the campsite.

Thanks

I just remembered, we did eat out a few years ago in Moffat, at the Limetree Restaurant, with wife's sister & husband who live in the same street as the Limetree, in November for my birthday. We were on our way to Spain, which gave us a good start onto the M74 next morning. It was excellent (and still is). We stayed at the C&CC site in Moffat so it was only a 20 minute walk. There's also Brodies just round the corner from the site, Claudio's if you like Italian (we had a carry out) 5 mins and several hotels/pubs. Both of these are also recommended by the sister-in-law. And Moffat's a lively wee town with a great sweetie shop where we get our Hawick Balls, loved by the one and only late Bill McLaren.

I just remembered, we did eat out a few years ago in Moffat, at the Limetree Restaurant, with wife's sister & husband who live in the same street as the Limetree, in November for my birthday. We were on our way to Spain, which gave us a good start onto the M74 next morning. It was excellent (and still is). We stayed at the C&CC site in Moffat so it was only a 20 minute walk. There's also Brodies just round the corner from the site, Claudio's if you like Italian (we had a carry out) 5 mins and several hotels/pubs. Both of these are also recommended by the sister-in-law. And Moffat's a lively wee town with a great sweetie shop where we get our Hawick Balls, loved by the one and only late Bill McLaren.
The campsites in Moffat and Melrose are fully booked, so although we will try them in the future, it’s back to the drawing board for now.

Nit so much eats but we liked and there’s a fab overnight spot just outside called Queens (something) that has fabulous views down the valley and estuary.

Portavadie Marina campsite costs £30 per night but in its favour it is in a beautiful location overlooking Loch Fyne. You have the use of immaculate shower block that the yachts people use. It also has an infinity pool, which is amazing. The Marina restaurant serves excellent food and you can purchase cheaper food - see their website. Great for a special treat.

Portavadie Marina campsite costs £30 per night but in its favour it is in a beautiful location overlooking Loch Fyne. You have the use of immaculate shower block that the yachts people use. It also has an infinity pool, which is amazing. The Marina restaurant serves excellent food and you can purchase cheaper food - see their website. Great for a special treat.
I’ve googled it and it looks great. Unfortunately not available for our dates, in fact very little availablity in July or August.

Thanks for the recommendation and I will add it to the list of places to visit when there isn’t so much demand.

Since my original post my daughter and double vaccinated wife both caught Covid. Thankfully they are both ok and on Sunday we were all out of isolation and so we finally managed to get away to an excellent Argentinian restaurant in Musselburgh, having parked up for the night at one of the POIs.

Thanks to everyone who made restaurant suggestions and helped with POI information for Musselburgh. It was also nice to bump into fellow members at the POI.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back