Which tyres do you have?

Admin

Administator

Which tyres do you have?

Which tyres do you have on your motorhome?
Did you choose them and if so, why?

Budget mud & snow. I've been able to drive through things others haven't :)

Continental camper tyres came on the van from new 3.5 years old now and done 28,000 miles. Wearing very well, at last check about 3,000 miles ago I had 6mm left on the fronts!

I don't know what tyres but I will go look tomorrow just so I can join in on this thread lol

*****;n443 said:
The Agilys camping are much better then the Xc, absolutely no comparison. Softer rubber and more grip and don't crack! The alternative is the Continental.
This will last longer, but has less grip!
Just my opinion having had all three!

Using these as well. 40 000 miles from the last set, still had lots of rubber but 10 yrs old...

I use https://www.blackcircles.com/ to choose. Enter your tyre size and each tyre shows its European rating for fuel economy, rain grip and noise.
i currently use vanco as they were original equipment and are fine except on grass! They get B for fuel economy, A for wet grip and 72db for noise.

I have Hankook full winter tyres, I chose them and when they are worn out I will replace with the same, unbelievable on snow and ice with the added advantage of no problem on wet grass

Michelin Agellis - pleased they are all season (Mud and Snow) as they are a legal requirement in some countries. Rather expensive and heavy if we had to carry a second set ... would have to leave the booze behind!
Along with snow chains ... we have 4 - advised the large rear end can slide out.

Originally Continentals were fitted. At 7 years old (manufacturing date on tyre) I changed them as don't want explosion! On reading, industry recommendation is to dispose of tyres more than 7 years old as the materials they are made from age. 3.5 tons and a blow out! I'm being cautious. I ski in Scotland and the Continentals, while giving good mpg., slid on anything other than dry grass. So I picked up 4 rims for £40 (needed a bit of a wire brush and hammerite). Bought Vredestein pure winter tyres. Up at Glen shee car park, I was the only motorhome to leave the car park without putting snow chains on. 3 other people borrowed my chains. I am yet to use them! Pure winter tyres will wear VERY rapidly if run in temperatures greater than +7 degC. so I replaced the original Continentals with Hankook M+S. Not as fuel efficient as the Continentals but don't slip quite as easily on grass. Just thinking about switching to the winter tyres now as the temperatures are dropping. Thoughts about throwing away 7 year old tyres which have plenty of tread left .....

Throw them my way Dave ? I think condition is more important than pure age. Is there any damage? Are they cracked at all? Have they been parked up for years in bright sunshine etc etc...

K ?

Michelin Agilis on the rear and Continental Vanco Camper on the front - although they will be replaced by Michelins when they wear out.

We had Vanco’s on our previous van, the fronts wore out at around 25000 miles. On our latest van, we have budget tyres, all season with the mountain/ snowflake logo. We have done around 15000 miles on them and they look new. They have got us on and off wet muddy grass with no problem, just waiting for snow and ice now to see if we manage to survive......

just realised this this is my first post here, I did post a new member intro on Wild Camping...

Last edited:
I have Hankook tyres as fitted by the previous owner in 2011 - at least they're dated 2011. I've done 25000 miles on them in the last 3 years or so and I'd guess 5000 before then so they've done at least 30000. The rear are estimated as approximately 8mm left and the fronts 6mm by a tyre fitter (strangely enough 3 days ago but more of that in a separate thread).
I contacted Hankook when I first got the Palermo to establish recommended tyre pressures and got great service from them.
I'd probably go for them again when the time comes.

Colin ??? (Smileys from my Lumia phone)

Don't know what we have. I use a small independent tyre fitter, and when I asked if there were benefits to camping tyres, he said no. In his opinion what we have is a commercial vehicle, and provided the tyres are weight appropriate that's all that matters. Having said that, I might look at Hankooks if the are better on grass.

Bridgestone Agilis done 60,000 and good for a lot more yet changed corner to corner every 12 months bought 2 sh ones 2 yrs ago and haven't need them yet fitted from new would buy again

Ive used GT radial for the last 3 years as summer tyres and Nokia winter tyres on my old steel wheels.

Had cheap camper tyre merd, wheel spin going up hills, yup really. MPG tumbled. Tyre pressure mfacturers recommended. OK tried over pressure and under pressure no help. Tyres still in date and rated for van. Can't remember make - no need to. Now only Michelin Agilis Camper from now until they stop making 'em. Not cheapest but I've tried that and we get what we pay for. They even look substantial and 'chunky'. Looks don't really count but it's nice knowing we're on a safe pair of boots.. Superb, wish I had shares in the bugger's. Daresay some folks with cheap boots will laugh / mock at paying top dollar. I don't normally earn it to give away but in this case I make an exception.

Chrz Mul.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back