Which tyres do you have?

Michelin Agilis Camping M&S, came on van new. Had them as std on all three vans I’ve owned and they have performed well including ski resorts every year. All three vans German conversations.

Full winter tyres all year, we barely use the van between March and October and spend 2 months in the alps snowboarding and skiing.
Currently have Goodyear cargo ultragrip2, last ones were Conti vancowinter 2.

Been using Nexen CP321 tyres for years now and always been impressed with them.

Last year though they were superceded with Nexen CT8 which i have on the front.

Their wet grip, economy and quietness are outstanding and i will be staying with Nexen.

Hankook All Weather on the Rimor and I haven't a clue whats on the new one, hadn't had time to look.

I've been looking for tyres that I can use on two of my vehicles, they both need 15 inchers & one is a VW Sharan.

After looking at absolutely loads of tyre reviews & advice on forums I bought Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded C rated tyres.

They have the best reviews in nearly every tyre comparison site, they are suitable to leave on all year around, although I'll change them in summer because they're noisy.

I have Mich Agilis camping on the van in summer & Nokian Winterproof on the Sharan, why because they grip well, they wear very little in the summer & are very fuel efficient.

By the way, the article which is linked to, doesn't give the main reason why a tyre is rated as Camping, these tyres are made with the fact in mind, that a lot of campervans are stood for long periods of time & normally a tyre that is not rolling will deteriorate quite quickly!

Phill

continental vanco100 really good tyres and as i was upgrading my weight conti said they are fine for a m/home as they have heavy duty sidewalls an d they are quiet and hold the road well

barry

Michelin Agilis Camper (brand new) in France according to the Controle Technique centre we are supposedly restricted to using tyres with the camper depiction - whether that is true I have been unable to ascertain but as that is what was fitted before it seemed logical to stay with the same type. Our old ones (don't ask how old) were still in excellent condition about from one that had scuffs - and were perfectly OK according to the CT and the tyre plce EXCEPT I was concerned that they were too old..... so replaced the lot......

Michelin Agilis Campers were on when bought. Fronts are now 5 1/2 years old, rears only 4. So will replace fronts with same at start of next season.

The Certificate of Conformity for my Pilote says "Combinaison pneumatiques / roues as 215/70R15CP / 6Jx15 offset 68." As far as the tyres are concerned does this mean I MUST replace with like for like?

I have Michelin Agilis campers on at the moment which are very good.I have had Continental vancos on the previous truck which were also good.If I had to choose I think I would go for the Michelin as they seem a bit quieter but there's not much between them in my opinion.

We run on winter tyres all year - based on the idea that we only do 5,000 miles a year and tyres need changing every 5-6 years regardless of wear, so why change winter and summer tyres if one set can last that long.

We are using TOYO H09, 'C' version.

Geoff

Current and previous campers came with Goodyear G26 Cargo,

previous camper did 60,000 miles before i changed them due to reaching 7 years of age good enough in the alps in winter
(only needed chains to do last two hairpins up into La Plagne on a fresh snow)

there seemed to be plenty of life left in them (RWD tyres dont wear quickly like FWD )

with the current camper i used the G26 Cargos in the summer and bought a set of wheels and winter tyres second hand from a MHFacts member

these were Matador mps 520 nordicca winter tyres and were absolutely brilliant on snow covered French Alpes roads

last two years i left the winters on all year but now changed both sets as the summer tyres were 9 years old and the winters 7

only have a set of winters at the moment These are Michelin Agilis Alpin winter tyres bought at COSTCO just over £100 each fitted

immediately noticed a quieter ride but only driven about 200 miles on them so far

i noticed that a lot of Asda and Ocardo vans and also the local ambulances running on these agilis alpins in the summer and boy some of these tyre walls were getting a hammering from these delivery drivers kerbing them

Penquin;n8208 said:
Michelin Agilis Camper (brand new) in France according to the Controle Technique centre we are supposedly restricted to using tyres with the camper depiction - whether that is true I have been unable to ascertain but as that is what was fitted before it seemed logical to stay with the same type. Our old ones (don't ask how old) were still in excellent condition about from one that had scuffs - and were perfectly OK according to the CT and the tyre plce EXCEPT I was concerned that they were too old..... so replaced the lot......

Interestingly no “Camper” tyres are manufactured in the tyre size for my camper so where would French owners of MB Sprinter campers stand ?

Trek;n8256 said:
Interestingly no “Camper” tyres are manufactured in the tyre size for my camper so where would French owners of MB Sprinter campers stand ?

Don't know which size your Sprinter uses ? I live in France, have a French registered Sprinter (318) based Pilote A class with 235-65-16 with a 119 load rating, had to replace the rears a short while ago before my CT and fitted Michelin Agilis (not camper marked) as they were the only ones I could find with a decent load rating, absolutely no problem at the CT station I use.

Should have added it's not unusual here in France for different departments to have their own version of the rules, even if there is a clearly defined National one.
Add to that the opinion (or otherwise) of the tester and misunderstandings occur and proliferate.

We have Continental Vanco Campers on the front as they were cheaper than the Michelin plus only 2 months old (from date of manufacture). The 4 rear ones are Michelin Agilis. When they get renewed I'll just shop around for the cheapest out of the two with the newest manufacturing date.

Graham
smile.gif

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back