Wi-fi when abroad

Looking for good ideas/suggestions for getting wi-fi when abroad
Thanks in advance
Elaine and I buy a Giffgaff Goody Bag that gives, IIRC, 15Gb (increased about 1 month ago from 12Gb per month), including Roaming Allowance for £10pm. The Giffgaff Card is on a 2nd mobile number which can confuse some of your regular Contacts!

The only rider is that shortly before the end of the 2nd month, Giffgaff send an email saying that Roaming Charges will apply from the next renewal, so we still get 2 months full usage, and we have been back in UK (by the skin of our teeth ...) when the renewal for the upcoming Month 3 subscription is due

Steve

I also use Giffgaff when abroad, it uses O2 network which means you don't pay for roaming and get 20 Mb per month for £12, which is all you're allowed.
It's a monthly contract which means you can stop and start it as you want.
I use in my phone and just hotspot it if you want it on another gadget.
You do need to put on an credit of £10 I think or you will be cut off if you don't renew your monthly payments.

Looking for good ideas/suggestions for getting wi-fi when abroad
Thanks in advance
Can you be any more specific than "abroad"? And I assume that you refer to mobile data rather than Wi-Fi?
For France, I can recommend the Réglo Mobile offering and can elaborate further if France is of interest.

Réglo Mobile includes Spain and Portugal in zone 1 (https://www.reglomobile.fr/pdf/destinations-couvertes-zones.pdf?v=2022.05) and the full data allowance can be used when roaming in zone 1 (https://www.reglomobile.fr/pdf/Fiche-tarifaire.pdf?v=2022.05). Note that as of May 2022, the UK is also in zone 1.
A Réglo Mobile SIM can be purchased from Leclerc (the larger stores with an "Espace Culturel" close to entry points from the UK are probably the most familiar with the offering and the applicable formalities) for €5 plus the cost of the monthly package selected. https://www.reglomobile.fr/
You need proof of name and address and a UK photocard licence is ideal (a UK passport does not have the address). Purchasing a long way from a UK point of entry (e.g. near the Med) may (in a friend's experience) cause initial slight confusion.
It is possible to register online to manage the account (useful for changing the package and for card payment in respect of subsequent months) if using the SIM for more than a month.
The SIM card can be used in a phone that is then used as a mobile hotspot but NOT in a mobile router. https://www.reglomobile.fr/pdf/CGU-Reglo.pdf?v=2022.05
Feel free to pose any further questions.

Data roaming etc in france Spain and Portugal
We used Giffgaff for data roaming in France and Spain in February and March this year; I got the warning email about pushing the Roaming boundary a few days before the return Ferry crossing so was spared any

Steve

I got EE to load some data on to my account and use my iPhone as a hotspot. It might be worth checking your current provider and see what deals they can do and if they charge extra for foreign roaming.

For the second time this year I blagged free data (an extra 50Gig this time for me and 20Gig for Mrs GMJ) as last year they had incorrectly sold me a home router for 4G connection saying that I could use it abroad...which I can't.! It works great at home and across the UK.

Réglo Mobile includes Spain and Portugal in zone 1 (https://www.reglomobile.fr/pdf/destinations-couvertes-zones.pdf?v=2022.05) and the full data allowance can be used when roaming in zone 1 (https://www.reglomobile.fr/pdf/Fiche-tarifaire.pdf?v=2022.05). Note that as of May 2022, the UK is also in zone 1.
A Réglo Mobile SIM can be purchased from Leclerc (the larger stores with an "Espace Culturel" close to entry points from the UK are probably the most familiar with the offering and the applicable formalities) for €5 plus the cost of the monthly package selected. https://www.reglomobile.fr/
You need proof of name and address and a UK photocard licence is ideal (a UK passport does not have the address). Purchasing a long way from a UK point of entry (e.g. near the Med) may (in a friend's experience) cause initial slight confusion.
It is possible to register online to manage the account (useful for changing the package and for card payment in respect of subsequent months) if using the SIM for more than a month.
The SIM card can be used in a phone that is then used as a mobile hotspot but NOT in a mobile router. https://www.reglomobile.fr/pdf/CGU-Reglo.pdf?v=2022.05
Feel free to pose any further questions.
Good to know
I usually purchase sims wherever I am but that sounds ideal

Data roaming etc in france Spain and Portugal
I've got 2 PAYG SIMS in one phone, had them for 20years. Put £10 rather than £5 a month on both when traveling. One EE one Vodafone. Between that and site or cafe WiFi it's fine for FB, emails, WhatsApp and even occasional Zoom calls.

Best check with your supplier/s. The two I use, Smarty ( 3mobile) and Vodafone needed to be contacted before leaving the UK.
Smarty shut down immediately leaving the UK . Vodafone wouldn’t work in Spain.
Forewarned is forearmed. I’ll check with both before travelling to Eire in September.

Best check with your supplier/s. The two I use, Smarty ( 3mobile) and Vodafone needed to be contacted before leaving the UK.
Forewarned is forearmed. I’ll check with both before travelling to Eire in September.
My experience differed. The Smarty SIM in my mobile router worked in France without any need to contact Smarty, but due to the limited data allowance when roaming in the EU I purchased a Réglo Mobile SIM for use after the first 2/3 days. On their website, Smarty do recommend certain changes to configuration to ensure that roaming works.

Reactions: Rec
Surprised at that , didn't have a problem with Vodafone in France or Spain

My experience differed. The Smarty SIM in my mobile router worked in France without any need to contact Smarty, but due to the limited data allowance when roaming in the EU I purchased a Réglo Mobile SIM for use after the first 2/3 days. On their website, Smarty do recommend certain changes to configuration to ensure that roaming works.
Surprised at that , didn't have a problem with Vodafone in France or Spain
I’m happy that your experiences were better than mine. I will contact both providers before venturing abroad again.

This year I used Vodafone in my mobile phone with no problems while travelling in france, Spain and for radio and limited roaming in portugal. Got a vodafone.pt SIM in portugal which gave unlimited data 30 days 30€ ( can top up by 15 days to max 90 days) as not travelling about. Also used my Smarty SIM ( set up while in Uk) to "top up" so I didn't fall foul of EU limits, used it when travelling out to Portugal and on way back ( gap of more than two months when not used abroad.)
Have changed UK phone to Giffgaff now so will have to work out best options for next long trip .

This year I used Vodafone in my mobile phone with no problems while travelling in france, Spain and for radio and limited roaming in portugal. Got a vodafone.pt SIM in portugal which gave unlimited data 30 days 30€ ( can top up by 15 days to max 90 days) as not travelling about. Also used my Smarty SIM ( set up while in Uk) to "top up" so I didn't fall foul of EU limits, used it when travelling out to Portugal and on way back ( gap of more than two months when not used abroad.)
Have changed UK phone to Giffgaff now so will have to work out best options for next long trip .
....and now changing to O2 as Giffgaff have drastically reduced EU allowance!

A freind just returned from Spain used his virgin phone for a hot spot ,unlimited data.
Average usage 150gb a month no extra charges .
They told me at point sale they don't enforce the far usage policy.
But that was before brexit.

Text from EE this morning.PAYG calls increasing from 35p to 40p per minute and texts rise from 15p to 20p. But, according to the politicians, it's wage claims that stoke inflation. Economists tell the truth by pointing out that prices drive inflation ...

Steve

We are on a SIM only deal with EE Steve. I've not had any text regarding calls etc with that. Might be worth looking to switch to SIM only?

A freind just returned from Spain used his virgin phone for a hot spot ,unlimited data.
Average usage 150gb a month no extra charges .
They told me at point sale they don't enforce the far usage policy.
But that was before brexit.
We are still in France using Virgin phone sims as hot spots with no issues on usage, which includes rollover allowance.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back